OmniPro II controlled thru HomeSeer / Z-Seer+ functions?

2MuchTech

I've been using an OmniPro II for several years, and I have Haiku / Haiku Helper that allows me to run wall mounted iPads and automate quite a few things with the scripting that runs in HH.  Danny at MyroHome is working on some exciting new things that should be really great for the OmniPro community, but I wanted to find out how useful HomeSeer could be for us OmniPro users who seem to have a system that's stuck in the past.  One of the modules from HomeSeer that interests me is their Z-Seer+ Z-Wave network programmer/analyzer.  I have a large number of Leviton Vizia RF+ switches/dimmers/scene controllers, and the Leviton Installer Tool is becoming less and less stable in newer versions of Windows.  It seems that they aren't going to be releasing any major updates to the app, so we're stuck with a rather archaic user interface as well.

Do any of you know if the Z-Seer+ app is able to completely replace the Leviton Vizia RF+ Installer Tool without losing Vizia RF+ functionality?  I talked to pre-sales at HomeSeer, and they weren't familiar with Leviton's Vizia RF+ (or at least not enough to answer that question).

One more question... If I purchase the Raspberry Pi version of HomeSeer (Zee S2) and the OmniPro plug-in for it, will the Zee S2 control my Leviton switches through Z-Wave, or will it simply act as a bridge between the HomeSeer user interface and the OmniPro that's actually controlling the Z-Wave devices?  HomeSeer pre-sales suggested I download trial versions of their system and try it out myself, but certainly *someone* out there knows if this setup results in the Zee S2 talking directly to switches or if it just passes all commands to/from the OmniPro and lets the OmniPro send and receive the actual Z-Wave commands and status updates.

Do any of you know if the Z-Seer+ app is able to completely replace the Leviton Vizia RF+ Installer Tool without losing Vizia RF+ functionality?

No I use both Leviton HAI Z-Wave via VRCOP and a ZNet like Homeseer device and Smartthings (and occassionally Almond +).

Way long time ago did utilize the Leviton ZWave remote to program the ZNet like device.  Then used the ZNet device to program the VRCOP (doesn't work with everything but the database is there) and I sent the ZWave devices to the Smartthing hub via the ZNet like device.

Most of this is for tinkering as my light switches are all UPB.

The VRCOP, ZNet and Smartthings hub all see each other but if you turn on a light via the VRCOP the ZNet and Smarthings hub are not aware of it turning on.  Rich mentioned once that you could link the VRCOP via the ZNET to each of your Homeseer ZWave devices but it will cause a managment nightmare.

2MuchTech said:
.  I have a large number of Leviton Vizia RF+ switches/dimmers/scene controllers, and the Leviton Installer Tool is becoming less and less stable in newer versions of Windows.  

What version of Windows are you running? I thought Leviton had released an update to Win 10 for the installer tool, is it not working? I still run mine on Win 7 here and have seen no issues with stability, but maybe my network is on the smaller size...

pete_c said:
The VRCOP, ZNet and Smartthings hub all see each other but if you turn on a light via the VRCOP the ZNet and Smarthings hub are not aware of it turning on.  Rich mentioned once that you could link the VRCOP via the ZNET to each of your Homeseer ZWave devices but it will cause a managment nightmare.
This right here is why I never went down the ZWave path.  The whole master/slave and linking setup turned me off.

cobra said:
What version of Windows are you running? I thought Leviton had released an update to Win 10 for the installer tool, is it not working? I still run mine on Win 7 here and have seen no issues with stability, but maybe my network is on the smaller size...
I'm running Windows 10 on one of my machines.  I think I have the latest version of their app, but I'll have to check to be sure.  It's been a while since I've used the app, but last time I did, I had a large number of crashes during the programming process.  I could almost always recover from where I left off if I used the latest auto-saved version of the file, but it really slowed things down immensely.  Plus, that app is just archaic by today's standards.  I still have some weird Z-Wave problems that I've never figured out (e.g. two 4 button switches where one button on each is programmed to the same set of lights, but if you push the button on one of them the other one's green status LED never gets updated).

Given their seeming lack of new versions of software, I have to wonder how much longer Leviton will even keep their Vizia RF+ system alive.  It just seems like it's been abandoned, so I'd love to at least find a different network programming tool that's getting updated periodically.  I'm in no way ready to undertake the expense and hassle of swapping out the switches for another type, but it sure feels like I made the wrong decision when I chose Leviton over Lutron 5 years ago.  The Lutron stuff gets regular updates, and quite honestly, it works a lot more reliably.  I have several friends with Lutron systems, and it's a much better system from a technical perspective (and their hardware is more aesthetically pleasing).  I'm really disappointed that Leviton didn't really do anything after they purchased HAI... I thought that acquisition was a sign of renewed life for the OmniPro and Vizia RF+ devices, but so far it seems like they haven't put any resources into either product line since the purchase.

Hi,
    I have just installed HAI OmniPro II with security components (door/window contacts, one keypad, glass breaks, motions, smokes, GE z-wave dimmers and yale z-wave lock). I still have to configure z-wave stuff. I have not yet started any programming or configuring z-wave. I wanted my system to do following.

1. My system should tell me which window/door is open.
2. I want to control my garage door from the HAI.
3. If possible to have cameras linked to HAI without Everfocus DVR. I have existing foscam cameras for inside and I need to buy some cameras for outside.
4. System should be able to send messages to my iPhone for any trouble.

I also need some how to guides.
1. Starting configuration and programming on OmniPro II
2. z-wave configuration and setup

I think if someone can guide me little bit about the guides on how to, I can start there and then may be ask questions later.

Thanks

Jonnywallter said:

Hi,

I have just installed HAI OmniPro II with security components (door/window contacts, one keypad, glass breaks, motions, smokes, GE z-wave dimmers and yale z-wave lock). I still have to configure z-wave stuff. I have not yet started any programming or configuring z-wave. I wanted my system to do following.

1. My system should tell me which window/door is open.

2. I want to control my garage door from the HAI.

3. If possible to have cameras linked to HAI without Everfocus DVR. I have existing foscam cameras for inside and I need to buy some cameras for outside.

4. System should be able to send messages to my iPhone for any trouble.

I also need some how to guides.

1. Starting configuration and programming on OmniPro II

2. z-wave configuration and setup

I think if someone can guide me little bit about the guides on how to, I can start there and then may be ask questions later.

Thanks

Your programming can be done via pc access. Not sure if you have the notifier board but that can aide in the communication piece

Back