OmniStat2-2000 and Climatemaster

dutchyn

I'm planning to install an HAI Omnistat2-2000 to control our Climatemaster Tranquility 27 geothermal air handler (with CWM controller). My geothermal contractor is hoping that it will work, but warns that he cannot be held responsible for performance and failures. Does anyone have experience with combining these two units? Climatemaster tech support in Oklahoma says it should be OK; HAI hasn't responded yet (I only emailed them today); the contractor is planning to follow p.11 of the Omnistat RC-2000 manual.

For detailed specs,

Any advice or experience would be valuable. Thanks!

Chris Dutchyn

Chris,
I believe tech support has already sent you an response email regarding this question and a suggestion on how to wire it. I have also looked over the Climatemaster specifications and cannot find a reason why this would not work. On P23 of the specifications, it states "Practically any heat pump thermostat will work with these units, provided it has the correct number of heating and cooling stages.", in which the RC-2000 does.

We do not have any knowledge of known integration with this unit, but there is always a first!

Please let us know if you run into any problems (or if it worked problem free).

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Guys,
I am very interested to know what your success was with using the OmniStat2 with the Tranquility27? Specifically, has the algorithm in the stat properly staged the compressor and your auxiliary?

Thank-you,

Jeff

I am very interested to know what your success was with using the OmniStat2 with the Tranquility27? Specifically, has the algorithm in the stat properly staged the compressor and your auxiliary?

It is working well: there is no heating anticipator, only a cooling one. The ability to program the staging deltas and runtime min/maximums are flexible enough. We had a week of -40 (last week), and although the system ran essentially continuously, it was able to keep our temperatures stable and warm enough with only stage 2 heat. We had auxiliary available but I only ran it once manually to make sure it works.

The only gotcha is that ClimateMaster equipment is ... sensitive ... and can declare a fault when one might not actually apply. The internal CXM control board retries three times before giving up. Unfortunately, the RC2000 is not to forgiving; it sees every fault as a fault, and operates only auxiliary heat. I have an open support question with HAI on whether I can tell the thermostat to leave fault condition without manual intervention. My Elk can track this, I just need to know what string to send to the thermostat in order to reset. I have given some though to having the Elk assert the fault (based on counting pulses and retries), rather than wire the alarm line directly to the thermostat. I may do that after get my other thousand things done; but being able to reset the thermostat might be useful anyway.

Overall, I'm satisfied.

edit: described alternative handling method for alarms

Chris,
There is no way to remotely clear the fault on the Omnistat2. The fault status is directly tied to the input. Your idea to use the controller to impose a fault count will work. The only problem is that now your are counting on another piece of equipment to diagnosis a fault. The more things you throw in the loop the more that could go wrong.

Ryan

NextEnergy.ca, the national ClimateMaster dealer/installer in Canada, has announced the new NE-32-2000 thermostat, a repackaged HAI RC-2000. It's nice to have confirmation that the people here at Cocoontech are leading the technology development. :blush:

If NextEnergy is interested in my [topic="13761"]Identifying fault codes in HA system[/topic] technology or how I get HA to reset the thermostat after a fault, they can call me.

Back