Oooh! Apple.com HD trailers inside CQC!

IVB

How cool is the CQC user community? The user who wrote the insteon driver (jonathan) just wrote a driver that will automatically download the HD movie trailers from apple.com during low internet connection usage. Check this out, how cool is this stuff! Even the wife thinks this is cool. It's only got 10 of the 92 downloaded so far, given each is 50-200MB, and there's 92, it may take a while. But, it can sort in download order (haven't tried that yet), so I can see the most recently downloaded ones first.

I'm still playing with the fonts to see what looks best.

overlay_hdtrailers.jpg

popup_hdtrailer_info.jpg

Why would you download them vs simply provide a link and the only get the ones you want to see? They should start to stream in a couple of seconds right?

I just can't help but stir the pot.... :D Nothing personal. ;)
How cool is Internet Explorer? It allows me to browse HD movie trailers without downloading them first!
http://www.windowsmedia.com/mediaguide/WMGHD

PLUS there is the added benifit of not using anything apple related...
......I'm done.

My point here is the same as Rupp's. Why download before selecting? Seems like an awful waste of bandwidth.

Why would you download them vs simply provide a link and the only get the ones you want to see? They should start to stream in a couple of seconds right?

I just can't help but stir the pot.... Nothing personal.
How cool is Internet Explorer? It allows me to browse HD movie trailers without downloading them first!
http://www.windowsmedia.com/mediaguide/WMGHD

PLUS there is the added benifit of not using anything apple related...
......I'm done.

My point here is the same as Rupp's. Why download before selecting? Seems like an awful waste of bandwidth.

Nothing personal taken, I would expect nothing less than a stirring of the pot. After all, if I cannot present my case strongly, it ain't that cool after all. So allow me to stir back :D ;) :D

In the end, your posts are demonstrating how diverse the HA community is, and how each of us are constructing our setups in a way to please our target audiences. If I understand what packages you two are using, you're ok with using HomeSeer/etc for your HA&HT as you're primarily using a PC and flashy screens aren't that interesting to you. For my target audiences (mainly wife, me to a smaller degree), a consistent UI and avoiding using a PC-looking screen for as much HA/HT stuff as possible is paramount.

Three reasons why downloading at least the descriptor info is value add (to me):

1) No need to sit at a PC to watch trailers, My wife or I can do this in my HomeTheater. After all, they are HD trailers - they should be viewed on the plasma. Some of them looked and sounded pretty darn good last night on the big screen while sitting on the couch.
2) Complexity of UI, and amount of irrelevant junk on the screen which will only serve to confuse users. Have you actually looked at that URL? How complex is that UI? I have a very simple UI shown above, with only those bits that matter to me,
3) Internet Explorer isn't appropriate for a Home Theater. Have you tried reading that screen sitting on a couch 12' away? I guarantee you that there's zero chance you'd be able to. I can render a screen with an image size and text size that's readable in my environment.

And a 4th addressing bandwidth.

4) "Waste of Bandwidth" is actually a reason TO download them during non-peak usage times - can you imagine wanting to watch these and not being able to because:
A) If you have a cable modem, you're competing with all your neighbors for internet access
:D During "peak times", apple's servers may be near capacity, hence resulting in either stutters or a delay in starting the playback.

In the end, you're paying for your internet access 24x7, you should use your sleeping times to download the content you might want to watch later, so there's no concerns about watching what you want when you want.

And effortlessly stream them to my HD TV with next months upcoming AppleTV :D Without resorting to PC's...

;)

This is actually a pretty cool concept and I would be interested to see how it could be applied to Netflix new idea. They are going to be allowing subscribers to download movies. If you could have some waiting when you got home from work, it would be very handy.

Jonathan is already looking into that, esp after the NYtimes article on Monday.

BTW, do you remember - is it streaming or downloading that they're going to allow?

Back