Openhab and other open source home automation packages

BobS0327

I am currently using a Leviton/HAI Omn Pro II controller as core source for home security/automation. It's been a very reliable system for more than a decade. But there have not been any major upgrades to the controller in that same time period. Thus, it's essentially the “Win 95” of home automation. I also don't anticipate the manufacturer making any substantial upgrades to the controller in the future.

With that said, I'm now looking for an open source home automation/security initiative to become my core system with the Omni Pro II just being security piece of this core system.

I'm inclined to go the Openhab route but was wondering if there are any other open source packages out there that I'm not aware of which would also meet my requirements. I don't want to get involved with any “closed, proprietary” systems such as Elve. I just don't want to make a substantial investment in any closed system and then have it be abandoned for whatever reason.

Just thought I'd post this to see what others are using in the home automation open source area.

Your opinions, suggestions would be very welcome.

I think OpenHab has the most movement these days. Personally I'm not crazy about it's java-base but that's just me and a long standing dislike of the language/platform. I do appreciate that they've done an excellent job architecting the platform and are following OSGI. There are other 'B' players like DomotiGa, FreeDomotic, PiDome, OSA and the grandfather of them all - Misterhouse - which is still alive and kicking. Today if I were changing from Indigo then I'd probably take a long look at OpenHab, and just try to get past my Java bias...

Terry

roussell has most of the more popular software listed.  I think your biggest issue will be that very few support the Omni.  OpenRemote is the only other one I can think of that supports Omni but its not fully open source.   So unless you are going to write your own Omni plugin, Openhab may be your only real option.

With a C/C++ background, I'm not a big fan of Java either.  But I begrudgingly started learning Java because it was a newly imposed job requirement.  I guess it just proves that you can teach an old dog new tricks.

The two things I like about openhab are..

1.  It's totally open source.  The source code will be available if the developers decide to abandon the project for  more profitable ventures. It'll allow me to maintain my own implementation no matter what happens to the project.

2.   It uses the OSGi framework which intrigues me.  I'm somewhat familiar with the framework concept and  how bindings (plugins) are implemented which IMHO is a good way to implement additional functionality.  I bought a couple of good OSGi programming books to get a solid understanding of the framework and how to use  the "nuts and bolts" of the framework.  So, there is a little bit of a learning curve but I feel it is worth it.

The other projects except for Freedomatic are written in languages I have no experience with.   I'm just not keen on learning another new language.  I think I'll commit to Openhab.

Domoticz is written in C++ and runs on Windows, Linux and RPi but it does not have a plugin / driver framework.

I'm using openhab to play with. I'm enjoying it once I got over the initial learning curve. I have it communicating with elve as it doesn't have an elk driver either.

What about OpenHAB and UPB or DSC? Do you know of anyone working on these? I'd probably give it a go, but I need both of these and with all the work to convert, it would be way too much to also write drivers for these in addition to the other work.

There is a DSC binding https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/DSC-Alarm-Binding  I'm not aware of any UPB binding. 

I've committed to Openhab because it's the only totally open source project that supports my Omni Pro II controller.  I have UPB switches which are controlled by the OPII controller.   AFAIK, I can't directly control my UPB switches with a Openhab binding but I can use Openhab to control my UPB switches via the OPII controller.

Back