Optex lx 401 wired into ELK M1

kelargo

Would anyone here have some advise on wiring up the Optex LX 402 outdoor sensor into my ELK M1?

The device has two terminals for power and then a choice of either NO or NC.  and then also another terminal pair to detect chassis intrusion. 

The Output says it is 28V DC 0.2A (see pic) 

I've read in the forum, that people have used this, but I am not sure the best way to connect it up to the ELK M1 and program for it. 

thanks

Attachments

• optex-lx-402.jpg
    optex-lx-402.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 6
The output of this motion detector is a standard Form C relay, with common, normally open and normally closed terminals.  The 28VDC spec on the output is just the maximum voltage and current that the relay contacts can handle.

You'll need a 4-wire cable to connect up to this, using 2 wires for power and 2 for the zone input to the M1.

Wire up the power terminals on the Optex to the VAUX power terminals on the M1 (or to a 12VDC aux power supply if you've reached the limit of the power the M1 can provide).

Then wire up the NC and COM terminals on the Optex to a zone input on the M1 using the other two wires.  If you are using EOL resistors on your zones, use them here.   If you are paranoid about someone tampering with the sensor, you can also wire up the tamper terminals with a second  EOL resistor and configure the M1 zone for 4-state zone wiring.  See page 9 of the M1 manual for how this gets wired (Figure 1). 

I have an Altronix 12V power supply available to power this, would still need to connect its terminal Ground to the Zone ground with a jumper between the two chassis?

I have an Altronix 12V power supply available to power this, would still need to connect its terminal Ground to the Zone ground with a jumper between the two chassis?

If the Altronix power supply is powering devices like an M1 keypad or zone expander, then you should connect the negative terminal of the Altronix to the M1 negative. 

If all you are using the Altronix for is powering devices like motion sensors that use a dry contact (relay) to connect to a zone input, then connecting the negative terminals together is not necessary.  But it's not a bad idea to connect them anyway in case it's needed in the future when you add other devices that might require it.

Hello,

I've finally found enough time to wire up the optex-lx-401.  This is my first PIR sensor I am wiring into the ELK M1.  
I think I finally have it wired correctly.  The status in Elk RP says the Zone is EOLR(=) 7.1 

Attaching a picture in case it helps someone else in the future who might try to do this. 

From the attached image, I have the white and black going into the ELK's VAUX; the first VAUX pair in the green terminal block. (not SAUX)  and the green and red are going into zone 8. 

What kind of definition should this kind of PIR detector be in the Zone definition screen?  
I currently have it as "03 - Burglar Perimeter Instant"

In the pull down, I dont see a general PIR detector in the "definitions" pull down. 

This PIR sensor is on my front porch and I have UPB integrated into my ELK.  I want to be able to turn the front porch lights on when ever this PIR gets triggered.   

I am able to turn lights on when the front door is opened. The door for this is "01 - Burglar Entry/Exit 1"

appreciate any advise. 

Attachments

• optex.png
    optex.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 8
If you use a zone definition of 03, that will trigger an alarm.  Is that what you want?  Or do you want to just turn on the UPB controlled light with no alarm?

If you don't want to trigger an alarm, use zone def 16 (non-alarm) instead. You don't need to tell the M1 that this is a PIR, as all it cares about is a zone seeing a change in the state of the contact.  It doesn't matter what type of sensor controls the contact.

Back