Oy, the Elk went NUTS this am

IVB

Not sure yet what happened, but I had the most lovely few hours.

The Elk went nuts while in ArmedAway mode, looked like someone was walking around our house. NextAlarm called me, I immediately logged into the house server to check it out. Sure enough, motion sensors were going on/off, looked like someone was walking around. Pulled up the cameras on my PDA, didn't see anything.

I'll check it out tonight when I get home to see if it was a massive false alarm or what, i got something like 90 text messages on my phone though. I walked my wife through turning off the Elk physically so there's no more random issues (plus we couldn't use our phone as the Elk kept seizing it).

At least NextAlarm was rapid in contacting me and the Oakland PD got there in a jiffy. Nothing seems disturbed, so we're really not sure what happened yet.

Fun times, fun times.

Perhaps the ELK is envious of the CQC now that it has Apple HD trailers. It may have just been throwing a temper tantrum to get some attention. :D

Let us know if you find anything wrong with the ELK. I hope you don't get charged a false alarm fee from the PD.

Say it isn't so.....

bring it up at the next Royal Order of The Elk Herders club meeting.. hehehe

John

Maybe it was just a guy checking your power meter readings? I have had that happen too. It's all wireless now, but plenty of old style meters out there.

Well yours and mine went nutz today.... But I think mine may have been an actual attempt on my house... My wife said we now need cameras.....

I just created a thread in the "Elk" subforum, since I now actually need legitimate help with this.

Funny that your wife says you need cameras - I pulled up our cameras on my cellphone, and have now decided I need *more* cameras since I didn't have any inside the house. I could tell that no one was outside, but then I realized that if there's bad guys walking around my house, I wouldn't actually know that.

Reminds me of that movie "The Sixth Sensor". <whisper>I sense the movement of dead people!</whisper>

* Hopefully that's not already an old joke. I have this 'maxi-pad brain' that soaks these things up and I never know if I just thought of it or am just remembering something I read somewhere.

Dean Roddey said:
Reminds me of that movie "The Sixth Sensor". <whisper>I sense the movement of dead people!</whisper>

* Hopefully that's not already an old joke. I have this 'maxi-pad brain' that soaks these things up and I never know if I just thought of it or am just remembering something I read somewhere.
Sorry Dean, but that joke is a bit old now ;) At least you're only a couple years late though :p

IVB said:
At least NextAlarm was rapid in contacting me and the Oakland PD got there in a jiffy.
I'm looking for an inexpensive and reliable central monitoring service for a system that I'm about to hook up (Elk or HAI). Are you satisfied with NextAlarm? Does your insurance recognize them? I've been looking at Alarm Relay...are they any good?

bill

insurance recognizes them just fine. Very satisfied with NA, i remember looking at AlarmRelay, indeed asking them some questions repeatedly over their "contact me" link. After 2 queries went unanswered, and NA contacted me *right* away, I decided AR didn't care enough about me to deserve my $$.

I've gone with NextAlarm and been very happy with them ever since.

IVB, could be an issue with aux power. Most motion detector contacts will not be in their normal state without power on the circuit. I don't know what you have on the system but I would start there. Were any door zones tripped? Also, were all zones tripped at the same time? Good luck.

CDC

Indeed, this may have been power related where I either had too much equipment drawing power, or too much equipment in my 2ndary box. I put a dedicated power supply on the 2ndary box where most of my equipment is wired to.

With any luck, cops won't get called out again. Wife would be pissed if it does, so i'm doing whatever it takes to ensure that it doesn't.

Back