Panasonic cordless pairing

wkearney99

I've had a 2-line KX-TG9581 base station and several KX-TGA950 handsets.  I've not really made use of the 2nd POTS line feature, but have made regular use of the Link2cell feature.  I've got three of our cell phones connected through it and it's been working pretty well.

I'm looking to find a similar setup for our boat.  Panasonic now makes a 'rugged' handset, the KX-TGTA61.  But the only base stations their compatibility list indicates it'll work with are single-line units.  Those also appear to only support 2 cell phone links.

How much, if any, compatibility is there with Panasonic's line of DECT6 handsets?  I could live with 'losing' features if it let me use the rugged one with our existing base.  The reason being the 2-line 'business' models support pairing up to FOUR smartphones via Link2Cell.  The others only support two.  It'd be nice to support three AND be able to use a rugged handset (or at least one that has a vague chance of lasting more than one season when used on a boat flybridge).

I've tried contacting Panasonic, but their live chat doesn't work and whatever nitwits they have handling social media contacts can't grasp how to actually ANSWER questions.  I've yet to call... because voice menu jail is such... fun...  Just finding a contact phone# is a challenge...

Anyone played around with Panasonic handsets and have experience to share?  

Like Panasonic 2-Line phones. Good WAF.

Concurrent to Panasonic phones also purchased Siemans 2 line phone base and phones. Junk. LED digits went out after about 2 years. Very low WAF.

Googled it and see an answer on Amazon from Panasonic that a handset made for one Panasonic base is not compatible with a handset from another Panasonic base and another message from a  purchaser who said that he purchased a handset from a unit different than his base and it worked for him.

You could just purchase it from Amazon, test it and return it if it doesn't work.

Thanks Pete, that's been my assumption as well.  I've been likewise pleased that the high WAF on the current phones, nice that they "just work".  I'm sure there's more features in them like phonebooks and contact integration that we could use, but we don't.   I tried reaching out to Panasonic on this and have gotten zero effective response. 

This only leaves the question of which base do I want to consider.  I've always sided with using a base with a handset.  This because of years of hassles with Uniden cordless phones and their horribly unreliable battery life.  I always made sure to start any long calls (for work conference calls and such) on a corded handset.  The Panasonic ones have had zero issues along those lines.  They seem to keep a standby charge for several days, and can handle an hour's phone call without fear of running out of battery.  

The one difference I'm seeing between the single and 2-line bases is the single line units will only pair with two smartphones.  The 2-line bases will pair with up to four smartphones.  Between myself, my wife and my son, it's handy to have all three be able to ring-through on the cordless handsets regardless of where the actual cell phone is located.  Very handy to leave the phones on wireless charging docks.  No more scrambling to find where a phone might have been left when there's always the regular charging spot.  No more scrambling to find the phone when some random call comes in.  Text messages, well, those still require the phone... but many carriers now have tablet and desktop apps to allow messages from other devices.

So looks like I'll be doing a little more digging on the bases and ordering up something to see if they'll pair with my existing 2-line base.

@Bill...your post got me to update the home office desk phone. 

Currently the old two line Panasonic base is on the Kitchen wall.  

Purchased a new Panasonic KX-TG9581B 2-Line Cordless Telephone System for the office today. 

Needed a corded handset.  Thinking it is the same as yours.  

Main floor is using a Panasonic wireless 2-line base with with a wireless base. 

This new Pansonic is replacing the old two line Siemens base in the office which is a piece of junk.   [sharedmedia=gallery:images:1318]

pete_c said:
Purchased a new Panasonic KX-TG9581B 2-Line Cordless Telephone System for the office today. 
Thinking it is the same as yours.  

Yep, that's the one I've got at the house.  Works pretty well.  Had it for about 5 years now, I think?  Haven't have to replace any of the NiMh AA batteries in any of the handsets yet.  A welcome relief after non-stop random failures of Uniden NiCad batteries.  I've not gotten into any of the details of how the handsets work, as we just use them as dumb phones.  I have configured most of them not to ring, to cut down on the noise around the house.  The link2cell ringing sends the phone's ringtone out the handsets, which is kinda clever, but also kind of annoying when you've got a kid's cell phone paired.  

Yes my kitchen Panasonic 2-Line base is DECT but does not include cellular phones and is a wireless phone base.  It is around 10 years old or more now.

The above mentioned one is the second 2-Line Panasonic phone system that I have used in the last 30 or so years.  

In 1995 Ford was using these at the assembly plant with repeating antennas everywhere.  Thinking these were 900Mhz ones.

Back