Panasonic's cameras

miamicanes

I'm looking for some cameras to wire in, since (for the time being, at least) I still have easy access to the area behind and above the walls/ceiling of most of my second floor. They're not for security... they're to reassure me that my cats are OK whenever I have to go away for a couple of days.

I've found one ceiling mounting location for a PTZ camera that's nearly ideal... from that specific point, I can see both upstairs bedroom windows (where my cats like to lounge), part of my bed (were they like to sleep), their litterbox in the bathroom (as long as the hall door is open), the entire upstairs hallway, landing, and stairs (where they like to lounge), and the lower half of the front door (a few feet beyond the foot of the stairs). The problem is, that particular mounting location is extraordinarily visible to anyone upstairs, so I'd like to make it as visually non-obnoxious as possible. Put another way, I can deal with a camera head poking a couple of inches below the ceiling, especially if the camera itself is mostly off-white. I can't deal with a gigantic monstrosity of a PTZ IP camera hanging 5 inches from a rod screwed into a half-inch thick mounting plate (think: most of D-Link's IP PTZ cameras, like the D-Link DCS-5300) like a futuristic disco ball on crack) ;-)

The most ideal one I stumbled across was the Mobotix Q24M-SEC-D11, which apparently combines a megapixel sensor with an extreme fisheye lens and realtime dewarping software to create a camera that achieves more or less 150-degree fields of view along both axes in a form factor that could almost be mistaken for a flushmounted can light. Unfortunately, at about $1,000, it's WAY out of my budget.
mobotix_q24m-70x70.jpg

A more affordable potential solution looks like the Panasonic BL-C111 with BL-CA51 wallmount cover.
blca51.jpg

At least, it might be a potential solution IF I can use it to mount the camera flush with the ceiling instead of a wall. I know the BL-C111's field of view is a bit less than I'd like, but it's cheap enough that I could live with it if I could get away with ceiling-mounting it.

I've seen some pics of the BL-CA51 that seem to suggest that you basically mount the camera into the BL-CA51's bracket, then screw the bracket into a plastic bracket that itself mounts to the wall. If that's the case, I shouldn't have any problems... but I can't find a pdf installation guide anywhere, so I'm unable to confirm that important detail. Does anyone know whether using it to ceiling-mount a BL-C111 would work?
pmount.jpg

Another possibility I'm considering would be three BL-C1/C20/C101 cameras (more or less the same price as a single C111+CA51). I'm kind of intrigued by their "digital pan/tilt" function, which sounds kind of like a cheaper version of what the ideal camera I found seems to do. However, I've read almost nothing about the real-world usefulness of their "digital tilt" and "digital pan" feature, and Panasonic's own marketing literature doesn't seem to even admit that it exists anymore (though most online stores still digital tilt/pan as a feature).

Did/does the C1/C20/C101 have useful digital tilt/pan, or is that really just marketing speak for "we used a 640x480 sensor with a mild fisheye lens... if you don't zoom, and view the entire 640x480 sensor, you'll see a mildly distorted wide-angle image from a fisheye lens. If you reduce the resolution to 320x240, zoom in by 50%, and move the resulting window around the 640x480 pixels that are still being captured, you'll see something that's kind of like ghetto pan-tilt, but you won't see anything you wouldn't have seen anyway had you just left it in 640x480 mode"?

I have a few of the Panasonic BL-C10A and what I did was use a Quad electrical box and a blank plate and make my own psudo flush mount enclosure (see Attached photos)

as for pan zoom... the whole round portion in the center moves so yes it is a real pan tilt.

Attachments

• camera_1.jpg
    camera_1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 26
  • camera_2.jpg
    camera_2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Camera_3.jpg
    Camera_3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 44
........use a Quad electrical box and a blank plate and make my own psudo flush mount enclosure ........

Todd...great solution. I was looking for a way to use a reduce the profile of a boxy Panasonic camera I wanted to mount in ceiling outside of my front door. WAF has kept me from mounting it so far. This will let me reduce the profile to an acceptable level. I think I can use this approach in a few other spots also.

just make sure to mount your box the right way the camera only fits vertical in my picture it would not fit horizontal because of the tabs. and I think I had to put one side in before the other to get past the tabs.... works great I forget it is there.

One idea that I'm exploring would be to cut a hole in the ceiling the diameter of a can light, mount the bulk of the camera (ie, its base where the cables connect) upside-down above it, then clip a can-light trimpiece over it so only the spherical camera enclosure peeks below it. The catch is that it would have to be a trim that either lacks a baffle, or has the baffle cut off so that it would mainly just be a trim ring to make a large hole look smaller.

cantrim.jpg

I think you should evaluate the camera lensing and field of view before mounting them in the ceiling. Can the camera portion and lens assembly be rotated to give a proper shot wile mounted in the ceiling? I'm not sure those models of cameras can. You might want to check this out first.

I thought those trim pieces actually clip into the can. dont they?

You're probably right. The "can-light trim" idea was mainly just exploratory brainstorming :D

I think you should evaluate the camera lensing and field of view before mounting them in the ceiling. Can the camera portion and lens assembly be rotated to give a proper shot wile mounted in the ceiling? I'm not sure those models of cameras can. You might want to check this out first.

Actually, that's a good point... is there a chart somewhere that shows the real-world width and height of the BL-C111's view field at various distances from the lens? Or, at least, the results of someone's efforts to see how closely the measurements predicted by trigonometry correlate to reality?

mobotix has a 360 degree camera in this style that they gave us. q22 i think is the model. very nice camera and this type is great for a bus. may want to take a look at their diagrams for ideas also.

also other than the ptz requirement you could take a look at this bad johnny. caught me by total surprise at a convention last year. had it right behind a monitor hanging on the wall. see the whole surveillance kit not just the encoder. kit towards bottom of page.

Axis M7001

Back