Soffit Mounted Sensor over Door or Window

sionxct

I'm toying with the idea of mounting a motion sensor of some sort over certain exterior doors and windows. Even if I find a reasonably suitable sensor, I expect it would have a fair amount of false positives so it wouldn't be tied into the alarm so much as automating lights or some other preemptive warning. I've read thru the discussions on exterior detection so I'm on the fence as to this being a worthwhile endeavor, but I like the idea of discouraging anyone snooping around before they cause any damage.

Was thinking about something like an automatic door sensor, along the lines of this unit:
http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/op-08cw
.. but perhaps aimed towards the door or window to reduce false positives. It outdoor rated and can be ceiling (soffit) mounted, but I think the PIR sensor is less than ideal outdoors.

1) Tell me why this is a bad idea
2) Any other suggestions for a sensor? (I'm familiar with dual tech exterior motion detectors, but the bulky form factor is not at all aesthetic.)

sionxct said:
I'm toying with the idea of mounting a motion sensor of some sort over certain exterior doors and windows. Even if I find a reasonably suitable sensor, I expect it would have a fair amount of false positives so it wouldn't be tied into the alarm so much as automating lights or some other preemptive warning. I've read thru the discussions on exterior detection so I'm on the fence as to this being a worthwhile endeavor, but I like the idea of discouraging anyone snooping around before they cause any damage.

Was thinking about something like an automatic door sensor, along the lines of this unit:
http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/op-08cw
.. but perhaps aimed towards the door or window to reduce false positives. It outdoor rated and can be ceiling (soffit) mounted, but I think the PIR sensor is less than ideal outdoors.

1) Tell me why this is a bad idea
2) Any other suggestions for a sensor? (I'm familiar with dual tech exterior motion detectors, but the bulky form factor is not at all aesthetic.)
Two comments. First, realize that passive IR sensors "motion" sensors operate in a specific way. If you move ACROSS their field of view, and you have a temp difference with the background, they will trigger.  If you do mount these, make sure you mount them to catch a person moving in the direction you intend. They do not detect someone moving toward or away from a sensor, only ACROSS the sensor. Here in AZ, these sensors work poorly, as the outside temp is often similar to body temps. Little temp difference, no detection.

Second, of course there is an easy solution here, that is as far away as Home Depot or Lowes. Get a video doorbell like the Ring Pro.  These don't use a motion sensor but rather use a camera with IR night lighting.  With the Ring Pro, and I'm sure some others, you can even exactly map out the areas of the video you want to capture motion. So few false alarms. And you not only know there is motion (on your phones, computer, etc.) but you get a picture of it.  I never thought I'd like mine as much as I do.

We have a front porch that is partly covered here.  I took a standard indoor wireless motion sensor and stuck it to the flat portion over the door mat, basically overhead when you walk up to the porch.  I then trigger the front door side lights on a timer when it triggers.  That way guests always get light if we leave it off and any prowlers get the same.  The only thing I've noticed is that we have a cat that walks across the porch once in a while at night and sets off the sensor/light combo.  I'm fine with that, as adjusting the motion sensor for pet rejection/larger animals only delays the response time enough that I prefer to have the faster response.  I think it triggers on rabbits in the yard as well...

Back