Premise Pandora, Spotify, Deezer, et al and Premise?

Motorola Premise

samgreco

So, for a while now, I have had a basic online radio setup working within Premise using John's UPnP Control Point module.  I use Serviio as a UPnP server and I can stream stations that I've enter into it manually.  But there is no "on the fly" stuff.  I cant go to a Premise media zone and scroll through choices that I haven't setup prior.  Let alone Pandora, Spotify, etc.

What are you guys doing for modern, online music in your systems?

I'm thinking that I need to embrace the whole app mentality on this and setup a basic playback device and control what it plays completely separately from Premise.  Select the device, switch apps and select the music, etc.

So just curious what you guys are doing for this.  If you are at all. The few of you left :)

Well, I have come up with a hack work around solution I think.  I have done some manual experimenting and it will work.  But...

I need to create a Premise device that I can connect to my matrix switch that will do nothing but select that source.  It is in actuality a Chromecast audio.  I need the rest of the control panel to remain (volume, transport buttons, etc.) so I can adjust the volume, mute, stop the connection, etc.

The idea is that I could just select that device in whatever media zone I want, and then go to my phone, tablet, or ask Google Home to play whatever I want and cast it to that Chromecast device.

Any thoughts?

I have done something similar for my Nuvo Grand Concerto Wall Panels.  I wanted to be able to push a button (When on a certain source) and have it trigger a script in premise to read me the weather.  I created a "Source 6 Controller" module from the "Other Serial Device" class.  It still has all the Transport Commands and Play/Pause, Volume, mute, etc.  I then just created an "OnChangePause" event and when somebody pushes the play/pause button, it fires a script.  

Not sure how it looks on the browser interface, as I have not used it to any extent.  Works good as far as having a source to select in the Nuvo Grand Concerto Driver.

Hope that Helps

Actually, I think all that I need is a "device" that selects an input on the matrix switch.  Everything else I can do from a phone or browser.  I just haven't figured out how to create a device that I can bind to an input on the switcher and select it from the automation browser.

Just model a matrix switch in Premise.  There was a module on the old forums for a matrix switch.  I'm thinking it used an RS232 protocol.  Hopefully someone still has it?

If all you want is audio, the Echo Dot has a 3.5mm output, and you could feed an old analog matrix switch, and use an older module as a template.  I'll upload it if I find it.  It wasn't my work, but I found it on the way back machine 5-6 years ago.

Actually, I may not be explaining well.  I have a Vaux analog matrix (16x16) that I am using for the zones in my house, with some audio outs from the server to play my local music.  A tuner connected to another input.  And a Google Chromecast connected to another.

All that I am trying to wrap my head around is having the ability to pick the Chromecast from a media zone in the Premise AB.  Then I can cast whatever media I want from other devices or browsers.  And then I can create groups of zones using Premise mSense.

Does that make more sense?

Yes, that makes sense.  You could just make a placeholder Chromecast custom device module (maybe use the wizard with class type PVR with IR or RS232 control, but no need to add any commands); name it Chromecast.  Next link this dummy device to the proper matrix switcher's input under each MediaZone that uses the switcher?

Later you can add control if you find the Chromecast can be controlled over TCP by using the UDS10 work around (to get RS232<->TCP), but this is not needed. 

samgreco said:
Actually, I may not be explaining well.  I have a Vaux analog matrix (16x16) that I am using for the zones in my house, with some audio outs from the server to play my local music.  A tuner connected to another input.  And a Google Chromecast connected to another.

All that I am trying to wrap my head around is having the ability to pick the Chromecast from a media zone in the Premise AB.  Then I can cast whatever media I want from other devices or browsers.  And then I can create groups of zones using Premise mSense.

Does that make more sense?

I did actually try that.  The way mSense works with matrix switches is that you make the connection and it's there for all media zones, since it denotes a physical connection with the switcher.  But then it needs to be bound with a device in each media zone that mSense knows provides media to "flip the switch" and select the input. 

I almost had success creating a Chromecast device using a tuner as a base.  Then creating a Chromecast station.  But the system got very confused by my real tuner.  It just thought that it was an additional station.  Tried using a cable box and a PVR but it just would not select the input.

Hmm...  so it doesn't work if you do that, but also add a PVR Home object under each media zone, binding it to the fake Chromecast PVR custom device?  I don't have a matrix switch, but I think the idea should work.  Once you do this, you can also hide this home object.  Multiple home objects can safely bind to the same custom device object (but not the other way around).

PS: can you link to the module for the switcher you are using?

samgreco said:
I did actually try that.  The way mSense works with matrix switches is that you make the connection and it's there for all media zones, since it denotes a physical connection with the switcher.  But then it needs to be bound with a device in each media zone that mSense knows provides media to "flip the switch" and select the input. 

I almost had success creating a Chromecast device using a tuner as a base.  Then creating a Chromecast station.  But the system got very confused by my real tuner.  It just thought that it was an additional station.  Tried using a cable box and a PVR but it just would not select the input.

The switcher is a Vaux LE1600 V2 which is included in the stock Premise drivers.  A rarity these days :)

And no, the PVR device bound to the Chromecast device doesn't work either.

Seems like it should be way easier than this.  I can think of one common scenario for this:  Someone has a multizone system with a matrix and wants a "local" input to connect a deice in a room, like an iPod back in the day.  The system woulnd't control it in anyway.  But would provide a simple input.  Not uncommon in the commercial install world that I live in these days.

I did a test and it works for me, but it is an empty home with only one channel provider:
sys://Media/Content/ChromeCastProvider/ChromeCast

If you right click on the PVR device and add the provider, plus do everything else we talked about it, it works.  Oh yeah, you also need to set the AudioVideo output for each MediaZone to be the respective Zone of the matrix switch as I did in the example...  Plus you may want to write some code to turn on the matrix switch as I did in the example below, and also set the PVR custom device to get automatically turned on by mSense.

Import the attached on a test computer and try it.  Go to the Media Zone in the two rooms and select the respective Zone device, then set its input.  Or, what it sounds like you want, make a provider under the PVR custom device, then make a channel called ChromeCast.  mSense will then find the faux PVR Device. 

Note that if one zone is using the PVR, it will show as unavailable. Let's get it working with one zone at a time for now though, and revisit it later if needed.

File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YWPHvBlhbhLh-r60guEnr21pAOCsj1EF

Yours worked like a charm.  I need to dig into it and understand why.  But in the meantime... THANKS!

You're welcome buddy.  Some day I will have to visit you when I am near Chicago.

You can use the transaction viewer in the working example, and compare it to the transaction viewer of your install (for all home and custom devices).

Seems you need several things for mSense to work:
1. Media content defined in Premise.
2. Content provider link referenced as a child of the custom device.
3. AudioVideo output referenced for the MediaZone.
4. Device with bound Home object available under the MediaZone to play whatever content type you clicked on.
5. Sources properly defined and linked to the device objects.
6. An AudioVideo output Home object under the MediaZone bound to the proper device (in your case a matrix switcher zone, but normally an AVR or TV).  Sometimes a TV is referenced to the AudioVideoOut property, and an AVR is attached to one of the TV inputs.

samgreco said:
Yours worked like a charm.  I need to dig into it and understand why.  But in the meantime... THANKS!

Back