PC Connected To an Elk-800 Audio Amplifier

ultrajones

I want to use an Elk-800 audio amplifier with 2 Elk Echo Speakers connected to my PC for HomeSeer announcements. Does anyone know how I would connect my PC which has 1/8" stereo output to the inputs on an Elk-800 audio amplifier? I have an extra M-M 1/8" stereo cable I can cut, but wasn't sure how to connect it to the Elk-800. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ultrajones

Ultrajones,
Just connect the two wires to the two input connectors on the 800.

Regards,
Vector

There are actually 3 wires which look to be left, right and common. I connected the common and left wire to the input on the Elk-800 and it appears to be working.

Ultra;

The mini plug from the PC sound output will be Stereo, so yea, left, right, and common for both. I have one channel from my HomeSeer server going to my Elk 800 (which gets distributed around the house) and another going to an amplified speaker in my den. When we want the announcemnets off in the house, we disconnect the input to the W800, but I can still get the announcements in my den.

Ultra;

The mini plug from the PC sound output will be Stereo, so yea, left, right, and common for both. I have one channel from my HomeSeer server going to my Elk 800 (which gets distributed around the house) and another going to an amplified speaker in my den. When we want the announcemnets off in the house, we disconnect the input to the W800, but I can still get the announcements in my den.

Hello BraveSirRobbin. I am getting a slight buzz from my Elk speakers. Even without the input connected, the speakers produce a buzz (or hum). Any idea if that can be fixed?

Regards,
Ultrajones

For the sound card volume settings (double click on the speaker icon in the right task bar) I turned the 'WAVE' volume to max and the overall volume to a minimum setting.

Then I adjusted the Elk-800 volume to the sound level I wanted. The 'buzz' is still there, but only noticed when your ear is right up against the speaker.

Oh, also, just remembered, did this with my buddy's HA computer and I sort of remember having to get another sound card as the one that was integrated into his motherboard wasn't working well with this configuration.

Tried the ferrite beads, various cable/grounding schemes and nothing of that sort seemed to work.

Thanks for the reply.

The hum from the Elk-800 is driving me crazy. I am really disappointed with the Elk-800. I tried 3 different adapters and a ground loop isolator and nothing helped.

Try moving around the setup (Elk-800 with speaker - no input) to different outlets in your home. Also try to reverse the 120VAC plug if its not polarized (one tab is bigger than the other one).

I have / had same issue with a TOA commercial amp with a couple of speakers. The amplifier also had a ground terminal which still wouldn't get rid of the hum. I made the hum worse when plugging in the HS PC. I tried an external USB sound card but had the same hum issues (along with ground loop isolators etc).

Try connecting the Elk to a 12VDC battery (like an alarm battery) and see if the hum is still there.

To help with the hum, try powering it with DC not AC. Yes, it says it accepts both, and it does, but DC powered, its quieter.

Ultrajones,

Just getting back to this thread. Sorry, I originally said 2 wires because I plugged a Mono plug into the PC Card. I am using the TWA not the 800. But I also had a buzz. It went away when I reversed the leads from the PC Card. I am also going through a relay which caused an open circuit. SO I was getting the buzz when not speaking throught the amplifier.

Also, Make sure you are using 1 hot (left OR right) and the common wire. If you connect the left and right (AND NOT the Common wire), you will get the DIFFERENCE between the channels. That may also cause a buzz.

Regards,
Vector

As stated above try running the Elk800 from a 12 volt battery. Steal the M1's for the test. If the hum goes away, the hum is coming from the power supply.

Back