Performance of audio via Cat5 and distributed amp's

PaulD

I will be running speaker wire for my home theater speakers but I have not decided what to do the rest of my whole house audio. I am not looking for a killer sound system that can blow away the neighbors. Just looking for a decent sound system to play music and radio from multiple sources into multiple zones throughout the house using ceiling speakers. Minimum of 2 zones ....but more would be good. Also, I am not looking for a wireless solution.

My question relates to the performance levels I can expect from a set up using Cat5 cable feeding ampfliers in each zone. I don't expect the same high performance level as can be achieved with a powerful central amplifier and heavy speaker wire but I don't want it to sound like an el-cheapo either.

Looking for feedback from individuals who have heard sound with this setup or actually have the Cat5 & distributed speaker arrangement. If you have pro/con opinions, tie they to specific brands of equipment if possible.

Paul

I will be running speaker wire for my home theater speakers but I have not decided what to do the rest of my whole house audio. I am not looking for a killer sound system that can blow away the neighbors. Just looking for a decent sound system to play music and radio from multiple sources into multiple zones throughout the house using ceiling speakers. Minimum of 2 zones ....but more would be good. Also, I am not looking for a wireless solution.

My question relates to the performance levels I can expect from a set up using Cat5 cable feeding ampfliers in each zone. I don't expect the same high performance level as can be achieved with a powerful central amplifier and heavy speaker wire but I don't want it to sound like an el-cheapo either.

Looking for feedback from individuals who have heard sound with this setup or actually have the Cat5 & distributed speaker arrangement. If you have pro/con opinions, tie they to specific brands of equipment if possible.

Paul

You get what you pay for. I have A-BUS, and it makes great music for background sound. It can get pretty loud, too, but it is, afterall, only connected to in-wall or in-ceiling speakers (Leviton SPEC grade stuff). If you are expecting audiophile sound, you're not going to be happy (as much with the in-ceiling/in-wall speakers as with A-BUS). The difference being a $1000 system that lets you listen to music in various rooms vs a $10k+ system that gives you concert hall performance. If the latter, you shouldn't be doing this yourself... go hire a person that knows what they're doing and can give you the best advise for your particular room dynamics.

I love A-BUS. Inexpensive, nice looking keypads, very flexible. Doesn't integrate with an ELK at all though B)

Standard advice: Always run Speaker + Cat5 cables to each zone (homerun) and then loop the speaker wire to your speaker drops. Speaker wire isn't that expensive.

If it's an SPDIF connection there is basically no possiblity of degradation. If it's analog then the signal will still probably be fine but you should use care in whats going over the other pairs and what is in proximity of the cabling.

Back