Philips TSU3000

GadgetBoy

Anyone using the Philips TSU3000?

I have a Harmony Remote in my living room that scores huge WAF already. I am now looking for something for the Family Room (my room :) ) to control my cinema setup.

I have seen mixed reviews on it. Seems like if you are a geek and can program, it works great (which is me).

Did you consider a touchscreen PC or tablet or Airpanel? Much more flexible, considerable cooler, maybe a little more money, with the downside is no hard buttons.

DavidL said:
Did you consider a touchscreen PC or tablet or Airpanel?
My understanding is that the Airpanel requires XP Professional, which I currently do not have (Most of my PC's run Win2K, including my Homeseer server). I also have an Audrey and a Fujitsu tablet, but I can honestly say that I have not really programmed them properly and as such, are just collecting dust. The problem with the Fijitsu is that I cannot connect it to my network to upload any info. It has a wireless antenna but is not compatible with 802.11. Is the Homeseer Audrey plugin worth it anyway (although I would not use it as a remote). A touchscreen is a solid $1000, which I would love, but the sales pitch to my wife may not go so well (haha).

So, that brings me back to the TSU3000. I am seeing them refurb'd for $180 and they are looking attractive. Can I hack them to control x-10?

G'Night.

jwilson56 said:
Also look at the MX-500 remote. They can be had for less than a harmony but the remote is highly. I have one and its great.
I have heard good things about the MX-500, but the geek factor of the TSU3000 seems attractive. :)

Of coarse you could get a Fujitsu 3400 level tablet for under $300 on Ebay and run Netremote/hsGirder and do anything you want. Now that would be geek factor times a thousand.

Or even the new 480X640 PPC's which some of the Netremote gusy are playing with.

I use Netremote for my Now Playing project but quite homestly I prefer the tactile feel of a button remote in my hand when I am watching DVD's or Tivo. I have one macro that turns on everything, sets the inputs, announces the movie is about to start via Neovoice Paul and then dims all the lights. Like I said I run my entire system via the MX-500. Now when it comes to my whole house audio sound system I use either my Win32 version of Now Playing or the PPC version. If your DVD's are on hard drive then by all means look to DVDLobby. You can't get much more high tech geeky than that.

John

GadgetBoy said:
...I also have an Audrey and a Fujitsu tablet, but I can honestly say that I have not really programmed them properly and as such, are just collecting dust. ... Is the Homeseer Audrey plugin worth it anyway (although I would not use it as a remote).
I use a couple Audreys for a lot of my interaction with HomeSeer. I even have pages that control IR stuff so I can use them for remotes if necessary. It's all done with html or asp pages. I've never used the Audrey plugin.

That being said, I also usually pick up a handheld remote for most TV/DVD stuff (and don't use the IR stuff on the Audreys too much). I do use the Audreys to control Winamp on a PC that's connected to my A/V system.

John,
If the Michigan HS group ever gets together, I hope you can show the group the NetRemote stuff you have working and a bit under the covers. I'd like to compare it to MainLobby and look at the delta to see if it's worthwhile for me to plunge into NetRemote as well to cover things that aren't in MainLobby yet.

One thing I am thinking is maybe for lower powered tablet devices - which I have a few. I have a PenCentra CE based tablet - Is there a port for that? Curious on the level of effort to redevelop stuff in NetRemote for these units.

NetRemote’s biggest Achilles heal is its lack of documentation. I would also like to dive in and play with it more, but I don’t have the time (nor patience) required to get over the hill before I can drive it.

I would love to have a volunteer do a detailed "How-To" in getting NetRemote up and running. :)

Back