Pi3 touchscreen

wkearney99

For giggles I've been noodling around with a couple of Raspberry Pi 3 units.  I recently came across a nice case designed for using a touchscreen in a tabletop sort of situation.

This 7" touchscreen:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/454804/7_Pi_Touchscreen_LCD_Display

In this case: (but also available in black)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/462657/Raspberry_Pi_Touchscreen_Case_-_White

The only downside is the way the Pi are laid out the power connector ends up being on top of the back of that case.  I ordered a right-angle microUSB cord for it:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Micro-Cable-Black-USBAUB2MD/dp/B00EBGGXS2

Now, with gizmos like amazon's Fire 7 tablets hitting the market at $69 it's not exactly a 'bargain' to go assembling a Pi setup like this.  But there's the expansion and software options to consider and the Pi ecosystem is pretty robust on these fronts.  

Fwiw, there's also a clever (if pricey) Media Pi+ case that makes for a nice HTPC-oriented enclosure.  Much nicer having it all packed into one box, with an actual on/off switch, instead of a bunch of separate Pi-sized cases.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Awesome, keep us up to date on your progress. what are you plans with this?  I've got a couple places in my house that I could foresee something like this going....

One downside is no mic or speaker integrated with it.  So no using it out of the box(es) for anything requiring audio.  The Pi supports it, there's just no provision for them in this unit.  

I don't have any specific plans for it, yet. 

@Bill, Very nice.

Doing similar here.

Originally was going to move my Homeseer 3 RPi2 to the RPi3. 

Rather now may do the stock RPi 7" screen with the RPi3.

I have tested HS3 touch for Linux on Ubuntu (Joggler Intel CPU) and OpenHab on the Joggler Intel CPU.

Curious how this stuff will run on the RPi3 / LCD screen stuff.

Note too that the power draw is higher with the LCD screen so you will need a bigger PS or POE and heatsinks.

Relating to the right angle mini USB device here purchased a similar cord but with a barrel connector.  (found it on Ebay - .99 ¢ - free shipping).

microUSBtob.jpg

Still playing here with the micro routers and using the mini USB cord to a 12VDC to 5VDC transformer getting its power from the OP2 panel.

This is going to go to a TP-Link POE power splitter.  I am currently using these TP-Link's for my Joggler touchscreens (years) and they work well.  Seeing these now as reasonable as $14.95 in internetlandia.

TP-Link.jpg

Also may fit an RTC with battery shim on the GPIO ports (using these today for all of my RPi's).

RTC-SHIM.jpg

Given these are going to be network connected, it would seem less trouble to use NTP for time synchronization than deal with an add-on.  Or am I missing something?  

I've avoided wandering away from a standard USB plug because of potential voltage issues.  Has anyone made a direct USB socket to barrel plug adapter for those PoE splitters?  As in, not that socket to plug cord, but direct plug-to-plug?  This looks a little smaller and has mounting tabs:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MOIDXZ  and this one has a direct USB socket:  http://www.amazon.com/802-3af-Splitter-Ethernet-Switches-WT-AF-USB/dp/B019BLMWY0

I'm not making use of any PoE gear at this point, so it's not on my immediate To-Do list.  But at some point, it'd be worth considering.

The other thing is with the advent of power outlets with built-in USB power sockets it's perhaps easier to use those and maintain a code-compliant setup without introducing long-term maintenance/compatibility issues.  Of the many things I've learned over the years, dependency on odd-ball power/signal adapters is something to avoid.  Granted, PoE has developed into a pretty standardized thing but having actual AC nearby avoids future compatibility woes.

pete_c said:
Note too that the power draw is higher with the LCD screen so you will need a bigger PS or POE and heatsinks.

Yes, the case provides for powering the screen directly, or using jumpers off the 5v/gnd GPIO pins with a beefier power adapter.  I'm using the latter, if just because I only wanted one cord.

pete_c said:
Still playing here with the micro routers and using the mini USB cord to a 12VDC to 5VDC transformer getting its power from the OP2 panel.

Eventually it all boils down to how much trouble is it going to be to provide a user interface.  

Going with Android brings along the complications of however the device has buttons set up, or how current/compatible the distribution is for it.  iOS is even worse/more limited.  It's not like Linux is some magic bullet in this regard but there is at least the option of tweaking a lot of things without running into arbitrarily restricted vendor lock-outs.

I'm not convinced this Pi setup is the best, but it's intriguing enough to try.  

What could be interesting is if someone comes up with a wall-box for it.  Something really geared toward automation.  Something with an integrated mic/speaker, on/off control and code-compliant power scenarios.  Basically a old-work-box with a single-gang cut-out in the frame.  It's been done for various AV cables behind-the-tv scenarios.  Take something like that and make it work with the Pi screen dimensions and mounting.

less trouble to use NTP for time synchronization than deal with an add-on.  Or am I missing something?

Just like having a clock inside of the RPi such that it'll always boot with the right time. I also utilize a GPS/PPS to my PFSense BSD firewall for time.  No computer on the network gets NTP/DNS from the internet directly.

I've avoided wandering away from a standard USB plug because of potential voltage issues.  Has anyone made a direct USB socket to barrel plug adapter for those PoE splitters?

Yup the draw on the RPi3 is higher than the RPi2.  That said I over do it with the power supply; sure bet stuff.

Early mini USB power ports the connectors would just fall off from piss poor soldering connections.

Yup; here doing the touchscreen stuff with my Openframe / Intel Atom capacitance touchscreens running embedded Windows, Android or Linux.  Best touch interface and easiest to remote control is the Wintel, next is Linux and lastly is Android (unless you mod it a bit).

Homeseer touch has never really worked perfectly in Linux / Mac and it will be updated soon.  It does work OK right now in Linux using Mono in an Ubuntu 14.04 configuration.

It is a test to see how it works as I am curious right now.  Might even be able to run OpenHab and the touch interface on this device.

You can just tack it to a wall and use a decorative wooden or plastic frame around it or 3D print a clam shell for it.

I am testing right now using an old IBM single USB / Mic / Speaker.  It is small and fine for testing.  It uses the USB port for the audio amplifier. 

Back