Pics of my cameras mounted

YOu need 18-2 for power, coax for video. I got a combo from tselectronics.com for a mediocre price so I only have to pull one cable. You can also pull CAT5 and use video baluns on either side, but that'll be $13-$25 per balun.

Camera uses BNC for video, some regular plug thingey for the power. I got these adapter thingeys from RadioShack for that, pretty cheap. I also got BNC screw-on connectors from RadioShack for the coax part. My PCI card also needs BNC, so I need that on both ends.

For power, I got something like a 1.5A 12VDC power supply, and one of the Elk power distributors [Elk PD9? running to a parade now, will look that up later]. It takes the power supply as input, and you can tie the 18-2 directly into that.

I also got a variety of .25A fuses from RAdioShack that i'll be putting in shortly, to make sure nothing happens and takes out all the cameras.

The Elk PD9 includes PTC protection for each of the outputs, so where do you need the .25A fuses?

WayneW said:
The Elk PD9 includes PTC protection for each of the outputs, so where do you need the .25A fuses?
eh, ok, i didn't actually know that.

yet more stuff that i've bought/done that I didn't need to. I'll just chalk that up to "lessons learned", along with countless other items. Good thing I don't keep a running total on that.

I got the correct screw-on BNC connector for the cables 3 weeks ago, finally took the 6 minutes required to screw them on at both the camera side and the PC server side.

updated pics in 4th post in the thread so you can see how the front door camera looks with a good connection.

So I take it IP cameras were too expensive. Or was there other reasoning behind the decision?

I'm trying to figure out what to do since the latest SW update from Elk allows IP cameras to talk to the TS-07. I don't even have AC in my house yet, let alone low-voltage, but that's only weeks away.

Anyone have thoughts on IP cameras? Especially ones that will work in harsh winters - albeit under a covered porch.

Stacy

I am probably going to use Panasonic IP cameras except for one day/night LED camera connected to a Panasonic camera server (so it will look like a Panasonic IP camera).

Cost and diversity of choices among IP cameras were my issue. I'll have 8 total, 2 indoor and somewhat covert, 1 front-door motion, def covert [as just stated], and 5 day/night(0 light) cameras.

Back