Planning my Elk M1 install, please review

nonumnos

New here, and trying to watch/read and learn.

Here is my rough plan that includes taking care of the overhead doors on my *detached* garage:

House:
* ELK M1GSYS4S M1G (Gold) Kit in 14" Can
* ELK M1KP2 LCD Keypad
* ELK M1DBH Data bus hub
* ELK M1XEP Ethernet Port
* ELK SWB28 Structured Wiring Box 28"
* ELK 951 Surge Suppressor; Single Telephone
* ELK 150RT Siren
* ELK SL1C Strobe Light, Clear

Detached Garage:
* ELK P112K P112 w/ 12V, 5Ah Battery
* ELK M1KP2 LCD Keypad
* ELK M1XIN 16 Zone Input Expander
* ELK M1XOVR 16-Output Expander
* ELK W039A Cable to connect external prox to M1KP2

Mid-point of driveway:
* ELK 106055 Ultra Prox Weigand Reader

Misc:
* ELK M1PRF Pack of 10 Proximity Fobs for ELK-M1PR Reader

The plan is to take the 14" can from the M1 package and place that in the garage to house the expander boards. The 28" can will house everything in the house. The garage is sufficiently removed from the house that voltage drop over that distance could be a concern, so I plan to place a P112K out there. I already have buried conduit to the garage for power in addition to a separate conduit for low voltage data cables. For the final layout I will need to drop a separate length of conduit from the garage down along the driveway (will explain in a minute).

I plan to treat the garage and the house as separate areas. The garage will have contacts for each overhead door and the man door, each of which will be wired to their own zones on the M1XIN. Additionally, there will be a PIR and a glassbreak for the garage wired into another zone. I didn't/don't want to have to deal with the entry/exit delays for the garage, so I brainstormed for ways to (dis)arm the garage area AND control the doors from the comfort of the car. The solution I arrived at was to place a Weigand prox reader (Elk 106055) midway down the driveway. I'll set up rules to (dis)arm the area and open or close the appropriate overhead door (using the M1XOVR).

Given the description above, does anyone see any major gotchas?

Welcome to CT! That looks about right to me. An option to the RFID on the driveway would be to use wireless keyfobs (depending upon how many doors you want to control).

Welcome to CT! That looks about right to me. An option to the RFID on the driveway would be to use wireless keyfobs (depending upon how many doors you want to control).

Ha! I haven't gotten approval from my boss/other half to add wireless yet. This is a big enough chunk that I'm pushing my luck a bit.

Next phase will be to put in wired smokes, followed by wireless. I'm running all of the wire at once with a few extra runs for future placement of other toys. *grin*

Hopefully the 28" can will suit your needs, but if you're planning expansion (wireless, etc) why not get a 42" can to be safe? That way you can mount some other things in there as well should you find the need for it in the future (lighting, thermostat, etc).

Back