Power Over Ethernet Switches

electron

Administrator
Staff member
With more and more cameras supporting the Power Over Ethernet standard, I would like to purchase a cheap but affordable switch.  Is there such beast, or maybe someone is aware of cheap power injectors?

Define cheap. When the guys posted about the recent Grandstream camera, they mentioned two POE switches but I could hardly find any reviews on their particular switches. So then I looked at other POE switches and I decided an 8 port would be good and I didn't care if it was 10/100 as long as it had a gigabit uplink. Based on reviews, if I were buying today, I would likely get the Cisco 300 series 8-port gigabit POE switch for a little more than $300. I wouldn't consider that cheap but it had the most and best reviews that I could find.

Trendnet has an 8 port switch, w/ 4 POE ports for around $80. They also have POE injectors for around $25. Mind you this is Canada pricing.

Yeah here I based my purchase of the refurbished Tycon 24 port mid span switch on my Jogglers (15) which have a bit over an amp load.  (plus my Omnitouch 5.7e's plus my little collection of IP cameras and AP - now just one)

I also purchased smaller Tycon POE switches to play with along with "other" 5 and 8 port POE switches. 

That said though I wanted port capacity for anything POE.  You can today do this with a regular commercial Cisco switch; but a new one and even refurbished one will cost you a bit.  (8 port SOHO POE switch is OK for 8 POE devices)

I paid around $100 for the Tycon "old POE technology" mid span switch.  I've taken it apart and it is very robustly built.  I have talked to their customer support folks which are top notch. 

I have three switches. Two are the TrendNet switches cited above. These are 8-port 10/100 switches, with four of the ports POE. They're about $55 now. I've added a Netgear ProSafe GS110TP that has 8 10/100/1000 POE ports. It's quite a bit more expensive at $179. All have worked well with the POE equipment I have, including ten IP cams.  

HTH,
Kevin

Holy moly, there is a $7 coupon, which brings the total to ~$51 shipped for me, will  have it Saturday.  I consider that cheap.  Thank you!

Glad to help. Isn't Amazon Prime great!

You should be happy with this switch if you only need 4 POE ports.

Kevin

OK I'll admit to having purchased a "few" 4-8 port POE switches in my testing.  (probably some > $XYZ total monies spent).  That and I currently have three separate patch panels and working still on a dedicated for POE only patch panel (which has gone really slow).

I purchased each one for less than $150 and they did work with my 1 amp Joggler touchscreens just fine; but I didn't trust them?

I can manage the Tycon midspan switch remotely which makes it different than the little unmanaged POE switches.

I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one, but I can probably get away with just 1, and wait for another deal on this switch (I already have a stack of TrendNet switches, didn't realize they made PoE switches as well).  Would love a managed switch, but it's hard to justify, even in my 'enterprise-like' environment.

I just like to "tinker" with network stuff (do have some XX networked tinking devices) on my home sandbox; its a hobby....

dgage - I'd avoid that "cisco" 8-port switch; $300 is way too high for an 8-port, and it's just a rebranded Linksys which is crap.

That netgear GS110TP is an awesome switch - it does cost a tiny bit more, but it has some management features.  Not a full CLI, but it supports QoS and VLANs, 802.1x, and is very flexible.  I have one on both my desks (home and office).  They also have the GS108T which can actually be fully powered via POE which is really handy if you want all your network equipment powered from the closet - and still supports all the high-end features.

Also check out Ubiquiti ToughSwitch Pro - it's about $170 and you can select 24 or 48v which can be pretty handy for passive POE devices.

Awesome feedback Work2Play. Thanks. Also, I edited my previous post to include a pointer to yours.

I have picked up Nortel/baystack 24 port Poe switches for less than $100 shipped on ebay. 2 of the 3 I have purchased were BNIB. I believe the model was 460-pwr. They are managed switches for a commercial environment....

I'm very happy with mine.

General question related to the Nortel 24 port 10/100 POE switch. Is a 10/100 switch good enough or should it have a gigabit uplink? I know a few cameras wouldn't be bad but is there a concern with many HD cameras on a 10/100 switch?

Specifically it looks like the Nortel 460 has a bay for a gigabit uplink but the ones available on eBay today are $250 by themselves, not including the under $100 POE switch.

Work2Play said:
dgage - I'd avoid that "cisco" 8-port switch; $300 is way too high for an 8-port, and it's just a rebranded Linksys which is crap.

That netgear GS110TP is an awesome switch - it does cost a tiny bit more, but it has some management features.  Not a full CLI, but it supports QoS and VLANs, 802.1x, and is very flexible.  I have one on both my desks (home and office).  They also have the GS108T which can actually be fully powered via POE which is really handy if you want all your network equipment powered from the closet - and still supports all the high-end features.

Also check out Ubiquiti ToughSwitch Pro - it's about $170 and you can select 24 or 48v which can be pretty handy for passive POE devices.

I have Cisco 300-10's and they work great.  Ton's of features like SNMP, Span/Port Monitor, excellent throughput, can play my bluray video with no issues.  (Not POE).  But I do not consider the Cisco 300 class switches "Linksys Crap".  They are not the same as the consumer linksys switches.

Back