PowerHome and Insteon and the Elk

Mike

I wanted to see if I had this right:

I have an elk with a serial powerlinc and serial expander right now. To use powerhome to set and manage the links, I could disconnect the serial powerlinc, hook it to the computer and set the links. Then return it to the elk and be done with it, right?

My question, if I am getting a powerlinc for computer control, it seems to make sense to buy another serial one so I can swap them if I need to update the elk.

Have I gotten this right or would this not work?

Yup, that is about right. I happen to have a 2414S connected to the M1 XSP and a 2414U connected to PowerHome. I wish I had two 2414S's, but that is the way it is for now. Having 2 2414S's would give me a hot spare to keep Elk running.

I have PH making links from switches, etc to both 2414 units. When I want to update the Elk config, I connect the XSP to PowerHome, send the links, then reconnect the XSP to the 2414S.

WayneW said:
Yup, that is about right. I happen to have a 2414S connected to the M1 XSP and a 2414U connected to PowerHome. I wish I had two 2414S's, but that is the way it is for now. Having 2 2414S's would give me a hot spare to keep Elk running.

I have PH making links from switches, etc to both 2414 units. When I want to update the Elk config, I connect the XSP to PowerHome, send the links, then reconnect the XSP to the 2414S.
Did I get that right? You connect the XSP (the Elk Serial Interface) to the PC running powerhome? I thought it was to update the 2414S with the links, then hook it back to the elk (hence being better to have 2 serial powerlincs).

If that is how it is, then I don't need to swap the powerlincs and I might as well keep a USB one connected to the PC, no? I'm tired so I might be missing something.

If you already have 2 2414 units, then you don't need to swap anything. PH can create links to both of them, but you have to do it yourself. In other words, for every link you create, you would put both 2414 units. So, PH can create links into a 2414 that it doesn't "own", just like it can create links between any other devices.

You connect PH to the XSP just for a minute to update the Elk itself with what links you have created.

Thank you. I missed the XSP part and thought it got the information from the powerlinc. Thanks for clearing that up.

The annoying part with that is the Elk is downstairs and my main PC is upstairs. While I have a laptop, I would normally have this on my main PC (powerhome is not a site license is it?). Is there an easy way to do RJ45 to RS-232? I have a bunch of cat5 setup for phone/ethernet, if I could make an adapter to plug in at both ends it would be more convenient.

Is there another option I'm missing (this may be an excuse to move one of the 'always on' computers to that room, which would solve the problem as well. More in line with what I needed to do anyway, and probably the way to go.

I run serial over cat-5 all the time. It is simple to make an adapter to use an existing run of cat-5 for serial. I think Cyberguys even has premade adapters you can get.

Well the second serial powerlinc came today. One caveat: It is version 1.1. I checked the one I bought 5 months ago and it is version 1.2 (and I had called up AO to check the number becuase it was recommended for the elk). I was surprised as this one was purchased from Smarthome.

My question: I can't find the original posts here that referenced that. While I intend this to work with Powerhome, the secondary purpose was to back up the elk. Do I need to initiate a swap or were the differences something I can upgrade myself?

Back