Pre-wire second monitor away from computer desk

we only use stuff at that price range when we're going really far. Monoprice has a set with IR back channel as well.

I would stay with passive devices for such a short run. Why not leave the hdmi cable external and run it on the floor along the baseboard of even hiding behind the baseboard?

If you are intent on running the cable in the wall then have you looked at rapid-run cable? I have a 50' length in my house and use an active wall plate at  the destination to boost the signal.

Mike.

I've used the passive 100' HDMI cables (again Monoprice) in homes without any issues. You just need cables that are built and tested for it. I also tested the cable before I went into the attic and pulled it as well. If the conductors aren't sized properly, and excessive voltage drops occur, the signaling gets messed up and requires the active devices to repair the signal.

JonW said:
He's talking about a monitor that is 10 feet away from the computer.   :horse:

10 feet linear is not a 10 foot cable run behind walls. 10 feet linear could be 30 feet of cable easy...

So, if a 30-ft cable is assumed we are talking about a ~$30 HDMI cable or... ~$18 for the 98-ft HDMI balun linked above, 30-ft of CAT5/6, RJ-45 terminators, along with a couple of HDMI cables at each end (~$15). 

The cost difference is going to be pretty negligible.

Cost was not the OP's main concern. He waid that he didn't want to bury an HDMI cable in the wall for fear that it will become obsolete.

Sure, understood, but because cost wasn't mentioned in the OP doesn't mean the budget isn't a consideration. So, I just wanted to make mention of it for consideration sake as well.

What's the time frame for obsolescence and what is really considered obsolete? Pete posted an article a couple of weeks ago stating that the last VCR's would be manufactured at the end of July. I haven't used a VHS in years and considered them obsolete a long time ago, yet someone is going to buy one of those VCRs and use it for years into the future. So when is the VHS/VCR obsolete? Technically, they still work...

Similarly, an HDMI cable rated for 1080p or 2160p will be viable for a while into the future. Media connection protocols don't change all that often. Coaxial cable is still being pulled into new construction homes as the primary CATV backbone. Will it become outdated eventually, sure. What won't? I see many LV contractors installing HDMI cables into homes right now as well - much more often than them pulling CatX and using baluns. Understand, that doesn't mean either way is right or wrong - they both work.

Is a CatX solution more flexible? Yes. Does it have more failure points? Yes. All tradeoffs that I consider when making decisions such as these.

If it's me, I'm pulling a single HDMI cable and calling it a day. If it no longer fits my needs and needs to be replaced in 10 years, so be it. If another protocol comes along, you may also begin to see similar converters than then use the HDMI cable to convert to the new connection protocol - whatever it may be.

The closest thing I've seen to replacing HDMI is HDBaseT and I haven't see much widespread acceptance to it. Are there products made that use it? Yes, but I don't think I've seen one on the back of a TV yet...

Miracast is a good wireless option. Just like the way in which HDMI cables replaced RGB cables, you'll now have another option to replace

drvnbysound said:
Sure, understood, but because cost wasn't mentioned in the OP doesn't mean the budget isn't a consideration. So, I just wanted to make mention of it for consideration sake as well.

What's the time frame for obsolescence and what is really considered obsolete? Pete posted an article a couple of weeks ago stating that the last VCR's would be manufactured at the end of July. I haven't used a VHS in years and considered them obsolete a long time ago, yet someone is going to buy one of those VCRs and use it for years into the future. So when is the VHS/VCR obsolete? Technically, they still work...

Similarly, an HDMI cable rated for 1080p or 2160p will be viable for a while into the future. Media connection protocols don't change all that often. Coaxial cable is still being pulled into new construction homes as the primary CATV backbone. Will it become outdated eventually, sure. What won't? I see many LV contractors installing HDMI cables into homes right now as well - much more often than them pulling CatX and using baluns. Understand, that doesn't mean either way is right or wrong - they both work.

Is a CatX solution more flexible? Yes. Does it have more failure points? Yes. All tradeoffs that I consider when making decisions such as these.

If it's me, I'm pulling a single HDMI cable and calling it a day. If it no longer fits my needs and needs to be replaced in 10 years, so be it. If another protocol comes along, you may also begin to see similar converters than then use the HDMI cable to convert to the new connection protocol - whatever it may be.

The closest thing I've seen to replacing HDMI is HDBaseT and I haven't see much widespread acceptance to it. Are there products made that use it? Yes, but I don't think I've seen one on the back of a TV yet...
I would've really gone with a Cat X solution and pulled a pair.

Think about how many plugs there have been out there....RGB, Dsub, component, Svideo, Composite, DVI and it's flavors, HDMI, Displayport, Mini-displayport, etc. The amount of converters out there are hit or miss. I just had to rewire an entire room with category cable and convert the video. Easier to do than the dedicated cables and cheaper than the rapid run. I wouldn't suggest any other way when it comes to a monitor connection.

Many years ago here installed an LCD TV in my home office.  It was around a 36" device and mounted high.  Originally utilized rapid run cables  to it extending it to master bedroom and office desk.  After a few years switched it over to HDMI but then didn't use the connection much having moved to multiple monitors on the desk. I also installed multiple cat5e cables to it to tinker (well tinkered then didn't utilize it).

You'd need to plan for it or have a plan B or C.....I'd forgo the dedicated specific cable and look at inwall cable solutions
What could be an effective plan B? Do I have any efficient DIY system that will prove to be cost-effective?

Back