Prewiring for ceiling speakers....

Maybe it was the Kohler speaker that made me think of it...probably saw it while on my DTV kick....

Our shower is going to be walkin/enclosed, so any speaker outside of the shower isn't going to be hearable. In our last house, we had a speaker just outside the shower, and while the water was on, it wasn't really hearable unless you turned it up enough, in which case when you turned the water off, it was too loud.

I am a little confused on why you would need 14/4 or 16/4 or whatever /4 for speaker wires. Why would you ever need four wires going to a speaker? Or is it meant to use /4 wire then split two to each speaker? thanks.

I am a little confused on why you would need 14/4 or 16/4 or whatever /4 for speaker wires. Why would you ever need four wires going to a speaker? Or is it meant to use /4 wire then split two to each speaker? thanks.
A few reasons...

1. Using dual voice coil speakers (essentially 1 stereo speaker), uses 4 wires

2. It is cheaper and easier to pull 1 /4 to a room than 2 /2. With the /4 you just pull the wire to first speaker, cut out a pigtail of 2 wires for that speaker, then continue the other 2 wires in the sheath to the second speaker.

Ya, what Steve said. :lol: It was one of those smart-idea things that someone mentioned in my other wiring thread (no, not that one..the OTHER one....). I hadn't thought of it before, but it does make the job easier.

I think the original question was looking for something to keep the insulation off the speaker. I didn't see this solution, but maybe I missed it, if so I apologize.

Up here in the Great White North, maintaining the integrity of the vapour barrier is paramount, so when I built my house I used a product similar to this behind every speaker.

http://www.adisound.com/component/option,c...,7/key,5/hit,1/

Also keeps the insulation off the speaker.

Hope that helps
;)

Well, there were a few suggestions but your looks like it would work very well. Great first post and welcome to CocoonTech. Looks like you do some nice work. I think it would help the OP and perhaps others if you could perhaps post a link to the source for those plastic back boxes. They actually look like they are designed as back boxes for fluorescent lamp cabinets but should work good for speakers too.

This isn't a pic of my house, actually took me quite a while to find this pic of them, but this company at the link I posted should be able to provide more info. I just picked mine up at the local building supply and they were stock items.

It was 10 yrs ago, so I don't remember a brand or anything. I'm sure they can be used for any purpose requiring similar installation as speakers.

Well, the original post was just a question of how I can wire the ceiling for eventual speakers, and not have to worry about all of that attic blown-in insulation from pouring out of the hole.

The box you show looks like an interesting idea....easier than me fashioning one out of plywood. I know others have expressed concern about the sound properties of putting a speaker in an empty enclosure, though.

Major concern is for me was keeping the integrity of the vapour barrier. moisture escaping past the speaker would turn into a wet mess.. mold and all, let alone messing up the speaker.

Back