Which Polk In Ceiling speakers

felixrosbergen

Hi All,

My home is getting build I plan to have a Alarm / Automation contractor (not the regular electrician) put in pre-wiring for alarm and pre-wire for 6 zones of whole house audio.

For the audio pre-wire he is going to run speaker wire and cat5e from basement to a future keypad location in the wall, then the speaker wire continues to the speaker location. For this he's charging $175 per 'zone' which i thought was pretty reasonable.

In addition to the pre-wire he's also going to supply and install 4 sets of speakers:
- Family room rear surrounds (fronts and center will be bookshelft type)
- Kitchen
- Master Bedroom (upstairs)
- Master Bathroom (upstairs)

The 2 others zones that are pre-wired are the ground floor dining room and living room since i won't be able to get into these ceilings again without tearing them down. I don't actually expect to put speakers in there for a long time, but it's hard to not pre-wire them when the walls are open. For the upstairs i can access anything from the attic, so the office and other bedrooms will get their speakers over time when i feel up to the challenge and can see how the professional did them (with regards to insulation on top of speaker and such).

I asked him to recommend a reasonable middle of the road speaker and he recommended the Polk RC85i which he woudl supply and install for $400 a pair (MSRP is $385).

I don't want rectangular speakers in the ceiling so i see the round equivalent to the RC85i as the RC80i which has MSRP of $330. Assuming install cost stays the same the price shoudl thus be $350 installed instead of $400.

The RC80i is however ab 8" speaker and i thought quite a few people are using 6.5" for whole house audio. We are not audiphiles and may want some backgorund music for parties and such but won't be hosting any 'raves' ;).

Is an 8" overkill? What's the differenc between a 6.5" and a 8"? The Polk RC60i has only slightly different specs (frequency response) but same power rating and is $110 cheaper at and MSRP of $229.

Assuming the installer gets a deal on the speakers his discount will be smaller for a cheaper speaker.. i don't know the install cost by itself. But if he's selling me the Rc85i which has a MSRP of $385 installed for $400 my guess he's paying maybe $300 for the speaker allowing $100 for install/profit. For a $229 speaker I woudl think he can get it for $180 plus the same $100 woudl make the installed cost $280 or so.

So my choice is the 8" or the 6.5" for a what i estimate a different of $100 to $120 per pair (and i'm buying 4 pair).

Does an 8" provide a 'fuller' or 'richer' sound than a 6.5"? What do most of you have installed? If i put the 6.5" in and don't like them i coudl always replace them myself later and sell them on e-bay or something.

For the family room these are just the rear surround speakers and will be located probably 6' or so behind the listenign position, the rest i guess is general audio so we'll just space them in the rooms. I assume this professional installer will have some recommendations for the locations for such rooms.

The main reason i'm having an installer put them in is the time factor and the fact my house is being built by a developer. Between the ELK, data, phone and other systems i need to put in right after closing to make sure the WAF stays high i don't want to be cutting holes in my brand new ceilings. I'm also not all that handy with powertools.

Any words of advice greatly appreciated.

Larger Speaker: Better at producing low frequencies
Smaller Speaker: Better at producing low-medium to medium frequencies.

6.5" and 8" both are good speaker sizes for producing low-to-mid frequencies. Do you have a midrange speaker? If not, go with the 6.5" speaker.

Personally I would go with the Polk RC85i which I believe would give you a much higher quality sound.

If you really want audiophile level quality for your music... if not then I would settle for the 6" round

Personally I would go with the Polk RC85i which I believe would give you a much higher quality sound.

If you really want audiophile level quality for your music... if not then I would settle for the 6" round

I don't want rectangle speakers in the ceiling and don't really have a good place to have them on the walls...don't think they will look very nice on the walls either.

I agree that you'll want to ask your installer about round speakers for the ceiling instead of rectangular.

Rectangle speakers look almost as out of place on the ceiling as round speakers look out of place on a wall.

I'd say 90% of the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers that I install for whole-house audio are 6.5". This size speaker can provide great sound quality and in my opinion provides a nice tighter bass for background music. Yes an 8" speaker will produce more low frequency, but to me they can start to sound boomy for background music and most of my customers aren't interested in room shaking bass for their whole-house audio.

Also keep in mind that a round 8" in-ceiling speaker is going to have an outside diameter of 11"-12" which can look quite imposing unless you have large rooms with high (10-12ft ceilings).

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. I suggested to the installer that i provide the Proficient speakers (which i would have purchased from you) for them to install, but they seem biased towards Polk and not to keen to install speakers supplied by others.

The ceilings are 9' and the rooms vary in size from 15x15 to 15x30 so you comment about the size of the 8" speakers may be well placed.

Based on the responses in this thread I'll probably go with the round 6.5" (Polk RC60i) and try to get a few bucks knocked of the price. I'll need the savings for all the Nuvo gear. :)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. I suggested to the installer that i provide the Proficient speakers (which i would have purchased from you) for them to install, but they seem biased towards Polk and not to keen to install speakers supplied by others.

The ceilings are 9' and the rooms vary in size from 15x15 to 15x30 so you comment about the size of the 8" speakers may be well placed.

Based on the responses in this thread I'll probably go with the round 6.5" (Polk RC60i) and try to get a few bucks knocked of the price. I'll need the savings for all the Nuvo gear. :D

It's best to let your installer provide the speakers as he's counting on some profit there to get to his "installed price" and he'll be familiar with the product. His prices seem very reasonable and if you decided to provide you're own speakers he'd need to charge more for installing them.

It's still odd that he's recommending an in-wall speaker for the ceilings. The Polk's are good speakers, but I'd press him to get you pricing for some round ones in the size you prefer.

Cheers,
Paul

I would also recommend the 6" ceiling speakers given the room size, ceiling height and stated purpose. I've installed both sizes in my own house (proficient speakers however, not the Polks). I've generally installed the larger speakers in rooms that have vaulted ceilings and the smaller speakers in rooms with normal ceilings. I've been very happy with the sound quality when I have done that.

It is my understanding that wall speakers should be mounted at the listening height to sound best. This would lead me to believe that they are designed to throw out sound in a "straight line" (please don't read too much into that statement - I'm not debating sound defusion here, I just don't know how else to explain it). Most do not have tweeters that can be moved either. Ceiling speakers usually have adjustable tweeters that can be directed to the best listening area. To make a long story short, I don't think wall speakers installed in the ceiling are going to perform as well as they would installed in the wall. There is a reason speaker manufactures produce both types of speakers. I would recommend using the speaker designed for the application.

The only reason I can think that an installer would recommend a wall speaker in a ceiling application is that they cost more (in your situation).

Back