Print Server

noshali

Hi,

I have alexmark x215 printer. It has USB and Parallel ports. Is there a CHEAP way to make it a network printer. I know I can share it and other people can use it but is there a way that it is visible as an independent dvice rather than connected to a PCs usb port.

Thanks

Add a Printserver. This is what I did for my printers through the house. This way I don't have to make sure that the computer the printer is connected to is on if I want to print something from another computer.

The Pod

The Pod said:
Add a Printserver. This is what I did for my printers through the house. This way I don't have to make sure that the computer the printer is connected to is on if I want to print something from another computer.

The Pod
Don't assume that the lexmark will actually work with a true network print server. I have had really bad luck with some of them.

It all depends on the drivers...stick with printers that mention specific compatibility.

I used a Belkin wired usb print server (~70 in CompUSA, I needed it quickly at the time) for a Brother laser and a Canon photo printer, and it has served me well. I've been using it for at least two years now.

I would stick with name brands like Belkin, Linksys, DLink, etc. I've had nothing but trouble with no-names - probably software related.

Mark

Mark S. said:
I would stick with name brands like Belkin, Linksys, DLink, etc. I've had nothing but trouble with no-names - probably software related.

Mark
I'd have to agree with sticking with name brands. I've been using HP JetDirect printservers for the last 15 years and they are rock solid and have yet to fail. But they are a bit more pricey. :rolleyes:

The Pod

Do they work for multifunction devices...scanner etc. I read somewhere that they are just print servers and one cannot use a multifunction features.

regards,

noshali said:
Do they work for multifunction devices...scanner etc. I read somewhere that they are just print servers and one cannot use a multifunction features.

regards,
I believe most of them (at least the ones I've seen) are only print servers. The multifunction devices like scanning and such would require additional network protocols and/or the software to run/control it from a pc through a network protocol. Usually the higher end multifunction devices that could support beinging networked will already have a NIC installed in them.

After doing some searching, I found this. It hooks up USB multifunction devices to the network and allows sharing of printing, scanning and faxing. Might be worth taking a look at if have a need for the multifunction capabilities.

The Pod

Back