Problem link Insteon devices with ElkM1

Squiddy

I have been pulling my hair out today trying to get the Elk to control my LampLinc V2 module. l have read through the instructions numerous times and followed all of the directions and when I try to control the LampLinc module using rules, nothing happens.

First thing I did was wire up the M1XSP and enroll it. ElkRP shows the expander as enrolled and working with the latest Insteon firmware (that I downloaded earlier).

Enroll_Update.jpg

I then set up the M1XSP as the instructions explained for Insteon Use. S1, S2, S3 are all ON. S5, S6 are OFF. S7, S8 are ON. I connected up the PowerLinc module using the supplies 9 pin to RJ45 cable and plugged in the PowerLinc module. In ElkRP, I set up Light A1 as a Dimmable Serial Expander and 255 and 256 as On/Off serial expanders and labeled 256 as Insteon Link. With a lamp plugged into the LampLinc and the LampLinc plugged into the wall near my Elk, I went to my keypad and turned on Light 256 to start linking.

This whole time, the white LED on the PowerLinc module has been on constantly.. even when I turned on 256. I would have expected it to start flashing since it is supposed to be in link mode. Maybe not? The Status LED on the M1XSP is still blipping on every 1 second.. just as it was before I started the link process. Anyways, with the system in link mode, I pressed and held the link button on the LampLinc module until it started flashing. The lamp turned off and then back on again and the light on the Powerlinc module flickered. The Status LED on the M1XSP also flickered briefly so I'm pretty sure that at least some communications are happening between LampLinc -> PowerLinc -> M1XSP. I pressed the link button on the LampLinc module once more, and its LED stopped flashing. After turning Light 256 back off again on the keypad, I went into ElkRP and wrote a rule to switch back and forth between different brightnesses every few seconds. Nothing happens.

I tried linking the LampLinc again with no result and then also tried clearing the M1XSP (S1 to OFF for 5 seconds) and started all over again.

The manual doesn't really explain what the status LED on the M1XSP and PowerLinc module are supposed to be doing during this whole process.

On top of this all, I found out (after purchasing the switches) that I have no neutrals in my switch boxes even though this is a brand new house. I guess according to the code, they are not required to do this. Makes things more difficult for me.

Anyways, right now I just want to get the LampLinc module working. Having not found any other posts where people are having this kind of problem makes me think I missed something but I just can't see it.

I posted a video on YouTube as well that shows the Status LED on the M1XSP. At the beginning of the video, the PowerLinc module is plugged into the M1XSP. I then unplug the serial cable between the two and you can see the different flash pattern. I then plug the serial cable back in and it goes back to the way it was. This is what it is doing all of the time, except for when I hold the link button on the LampLinc module.

YouTube M1XSP Video

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I added another video to show the M1XSP Status LED change when the LampLinc module is linking. LampLinc Module Linking

I installed PowerHome and connected my laptop up to the PowerLinc. I manually added the LampLinc and can talk to it no problem.

insteon_control.jpg

I connected up to the M1XSP and retrieved the configuration using PowerHome. When I first downloaded, all of the addresses were FF.FF.FF. I changed A01 to 0E.80.DE which is the address of the lamplinc. I downloaded the new config to the M1XSP and then retrieved it and the address was in there. I tried controlling the lamplinc (this time using CQC) and I still cannot get anything to happen. I noticed that the white LED on the PowerLinc flashes when it sends a command to the LampLinc. Nothing was happening when I tried it from an Elk rule or CQC.

powerhome.jpg

Obviously my linking didn't work if all of the addresses were FF.FF.FF. What could be going on here?

I was reading through the ELK forums and a couple of other people have had the exact same problem as me. One person never replied back with a fix but the other said he had a faulty M1XSP. Seems weird that I can talk to the M1XSP through the 9-pin using my laptop and PowerHome, the Elk talks to the M1XSP just fine, and I can talk to the 2414S PowerLinc with my laptop and control the lighting just fine with PowerHome.

I have emailed tech support to see what they suggest.

Well I downgraded to firmware version 50.0.0.26 and now it's working fine. Not sure why that is but maybe someone has some insight? Spanky?

Back