Problem with Elkrp communicating with Elk M1Gold using M1XEP

bukun

Hello Everyone,

I found this forum and thought to share my issue and see if anyone had the same issue. I installed the ElkM1Gold + Elk M1Xep to allow to connect over the network. The issue is that the ElkRp v2.0.16 is not able to connect. It is able to find the M1XEP but when i try to do Connection->Network, it displays the following message
Connecting to .....
Connecting Verifying identity  (stays on this for quite a while)
and then says 
Control has disconnected

I contacted Elk support and after back and forth they asked me to send the M1XEP back to them. Which i did. They sent me another one, and i installed that. It worked fine for few weeks, and then again i started getting the same issue over again. I downloaded the M1XEP diagnostic tool and it says there is no problem. I am able to send an email using the M1XEP diagnostic tool. I am able to ping it. My Alarm monitoring station is connected using IP, and it sends the signal properly to them, but not sure why my Elk Rp software cannot connect. 

The report from the Elk M1XEP diagnostic tool which says at the bottom No Problem detected.

Name:
MAC Addr: 00-40-9D-73-EA-34
IP Addr: 192.168.1.34
Secure Port: 2601
M1XEP serial port OK: Yes
M1XEP has initialized: Yes
DHCP: Yes
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Pri DNS: 192.168.1.254
Sec DNS: 0.0.0.0
Non-secure Port: 0
AMX Beacon: No
Email Server: smtpout.secureserver.net (URL)
Email Port:  80
Email From Addr: <removed>
Email Username: <removed>
Email POP before SMTP: No
SNTP Server:  (IP)
SNTP Update Time: 00:00
SNTP Time Zone: GMT+0.00
SNTP Email on Errors: No
Bootware Version: 1.2.0
Application Version: 1.3.28

Problems:
None detected.

Has anyone else faced the same issue and has any idea of needs to be done. 

Thank

sounds like the IP connectivity portion of the XEP is working correctly if all those functions are OK... have you tried 1) disabling your firewall completely, or 2) a totally different computer?  Can you ping the XEP?

Not to over simplify, but since you're running DHCP and probably not reserving the IP address...have you confirmed the IP address in RP?

The RP tool is pretty limited in what it does and can do on the LAN.

I have experienced a quirk at one customer's site where the XEP and panel are stable but for whatever reason, RP stops being able to connect locally on the LAN. A power cycle of the XEP fixes it, so I'm leaning towards their network stability and switch settings being part of the issue.

I just wrote a rule to reset the XEP's power in my case, not using it for monitoring purposes.

bukun said:
Hello Everyone,

I found this forum and thought to share my issue and see if anyone had the same issue. I installed the ElkM1Gold + Elk M1Xep to allow to connect over the network. The issue is that the ElkRp v2.0.16 is not able to connect. It is able to find the M1XEP but when i try to do Connection->Network, it displays the following message
Connecting to .....
Connecting Verifying identity  (stays on this for quite a while)
and then says 
Control has disconnected

I contacted Elk support and after back and forth they asked me to send the M1XEP back to them. Which i did. They sent me another one, and i installed that. It worked fine for few weeks, and then again i started getting the same issue over again. I downloaded the M1XEP diagnostic tool and it says there is no problem. I am able to send an email using the M1XEP diagnostic tool. I am able to ping it. My Alarm monitoring station is connected using IP, and it sends the signal properly to them, but not sure why my Elk Rp software cannot connect. 

The report from the Elk M1XEP diagnostic tool which says at the bottom No Problem detected.

Name:
MAC Addr: 00-40-9D-73-EA-34
IP Addr: 192.168.1.34
Secure Port: 2601
M1XEP serial port OK: Yes
M1XEP has initialized: Yes
DHCP: Yes
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
Pri DNS: 192.168.1.254
Sec DNS: 0.0.0.0
Non-secure Port: 0
AMX Beacon: No
Email Server: smtpout.secureserver.net (URL)
Email Port:  80
Email From Addr: <removed>
Email Username: <removed>
Email POP before SMTP: No
SNTP Server:  (IP)
SNTP Update Time: 00:00
SNTP Time Zone: GMT+0.00
SNTP Email on Errors: No
Bootware Version: 1.2.0
Application Version: 1.3.28

Problems:
None detected.

Has anyone else faced the same issue and has any idea of needs to be done. 

Thank
Have you tried using the non-secure port 2101 instead of the secure port 2601?  My Windows 8 desktop refuses to connect on 2601 but does so willingly on 2101.  What version of Elk RP2 are you using?  If version 2.0.18 is caused difficulties, switch to the previous version 2.0.16.

Assigning the M1XEP a static IP address (outside the range of DHCP addresses your router may assign) is also highly recommended.  It will save you many hours of frustration I assure you.  

+1 for trying a different PC, Also try a new patch lead to the M1XEP I have seen faulty patch leads causing issues like this. While you are doing this plug the M1XEP into a different port on your Router

Back