Problems with Insteon

dwalder

Guys, I have been using Insteon for about 1-1.5 years now (ever since it came out). I have about 20 dimmers and relay switches thoughout my house along with several lamp dimmers/switches. I have now had to replace close to every switch in the house and am on the 2nd or 3rd one in most cases.

It seems that the springs in the switches get compressed or worn out depending on how often the switch is used. I have tried everthing from very tightly securing the switch in the j-box to placing it in lightly. I have also tried to replace the springs on many of the units and that seems to work for a while after they have failed. Some of the switches will not turn off and others will not turn on.

Has anyone else had these problems? I have never had to replace any of the smarthome brand x10 switches. Also smarthome continues to replace them free of charge but I am startting to get tired of my wife and kids yelling out "There's another broken switch."

Thanks for your help.

My wife isn't particularly fond of my home automation efforts. "I liked the old switches and I just feel like punching these" Well she doesn't exactly punch them but she wacks them pretty hard. I've had the problem you describe on the one she 'uses' the most to express her frustration. Maybe togglelincs would last longer.

dwalder said:
Some of the switches will not turn off and others will not turn on.

I have had to replace quite a few switches. The vast majority for the exact problem you describe. I just changed out another batch.

SmartHome has replaced them without too much of a problem. However, with this last batch, they switched my call over to the tech department, and the guy acted as if they never heard of this problem - which really annoyed me.

I keep hoping that the newer switches will be improved and that this will not continue to be a problem. The person on the phone basically said that this issue has not been addressed because they are not aware of it. What BS.

Jim H.

I have probably replaced 20% of my switches for this problem as well. In my case, it does not seem to matter if the switch is heavily used or not - I have had switches that are hardly ever used break, and switches that are used multiple times per day. However, the ICONs are definitely worse than the switchlincs - so much so that I probably won't buy them anymore. I dread the day that the warranties are up or SH stops replacing them.

I have 70 + Insteon devices. To put it mildly, the physical quality of the switches, at least those shipping through a few months ago, is just plain poor.

I have replaced some switches 2 or more times, and in one call to SH tech support was told to take the switch out of the wall, shake it a few times, and reinstall it. This was because the tech alleged that the springs settled during shipping. I am not kidding, sadly, and actually had to do this to appease the tech and resolve other problems with my system. As one might expect it had no effect except to waste my time.

I am fortunate to have much of my lighting controlled by KPLs and occupancy sensors, thus lessening the need to use the actual switches. Also, once I swap out the last of my switches with the faulty triac (they flicker) my system will be fairly solid when it comes to signalling. I am very disappointed, however, in the physical quality of at least the early switches.

It is also disappointing that Smarthome, which once made high quality equipment enjoyed by many of us, is allowing this to hapen. It is even more unfortunate if SH is saying the are unaware of this problem. It is one of the more frequently reported problems with Insteon in this and other boards.

jhimmel said:
SmartHome has replaced them without too much of a problem. However, with this last batch, they switched my call over to the tech department, and the guy acted as if they never heard of this problem - which really annoyed me.
Interesting you say that. I just called recently to RMA a few Insteon switched that had gone dead (relay switches for the full version insteons for those who are curious). Normally they would take care of it directly (granted it has been a few months since I did this) but I also got switched to tech support. They did not say they were not aware of this and did setup an RMA for the items.

On Icons, I tried a few and came to the conclusion to buy the better switches and pay for the longer warranty with the full version. I had originally bought them for the garage thinking it was not worth the higher version, but they start to act up on occasion. It may just be these particular switches as I have not swapped them out (it is a 3 gang box so I have not been looking forward to swapping them out), but the icons have a a reduced warranty as well if I recall so I think the couple I have will be removed and replaced with 7yr v2 relays.

I've had 2 SwintchLinc V2's fail because of this. One absolutely will not physically turn on anymore. Mike at Smartlabs suggested taking the paddle apart and stretching the springs just slightly. I guess I did it too much because now the "ON" button is always pressed, and the switch goes into linking mode 10 seconds after I turn the power on.

Xpendable said:
I've had 2 SwintchLinc V2's fail because of this. One absolutely will not physically turn on anymore. Mike at Smartlabs suggested taking the paddle apart and stretching the springs just slightly. I guess I did it too much because now the "ON" button is always pressed, and the switch goes into linking mode 10 seconds after I turn the power on.
An easier check would be to swap the paddle for the Ivory one included with each SwitchLinc V2. If both paddles have the same symptoms then the problem is in the switch. If that solves the problem then just RMA the paddle. I just can't see messing with trying to stretch springs and such.

I just can't see messing with trying to stretch springs and such.

Didnt you enjoy playing with "Slinkies" as a kid? :)

SH puts the fun back in HA.

Ok seriously they may have had a bad batch of springs. A supplier could have changed something without their knowledge and they might have thousands out there with a problem. Or.... they might have gotten a good deal on springs from a new supplier and then realize later that there are problems. It happens. Now they will pay a heavy price for this problem.

Where I work we are backlogged with alternate component evaluations. There can be tremendous savings. We have (actually my boss started it before I worked there) a saying that all alaternate components have to be equal or beter than the original or we dont use them. We do a lot of testing and at times pass up on "good deals" if we think quality might suffer.

Example changing from battery "A" to battery "B" that we supply with a product can save over $75K a year. Hard to pass up. But after weeks of testing under adverse conditions if the battery "B" is not as good as "A" we dont accept it.

I don't think it is a bad batch of springs. I have only had a few switches fail with this problem but it has always been the switch, not the paddle.

I don't think it's the paddle either. Whatever it is, SH has had enough returns from this problem to have worked out a manufacturing fix.

Back