Programming Somfy Shades with ELK M1

How do I program a somfy shade into my system?  
Currently I have
1) a M1XSP that is enrolled into address 1. 
2) The firmware is set to standard firmware 1.0.50 
3)I have wrote an ASCII string of 0103U<cr> to make the shade on channel 3 go up. 
4) I am using a Somfy Universal RTS RS485 port that is communicating with the shade if I toggle it.
5) The rule I wrote "When F4 Key on any Keypad activates then send the following text "0103U<cr>" through port 1.
6) I have also double checked the BAUD rate which is 9600 the jumper is set to RS485 and the ethernet cable is plugged into both units.

I am currently unsure what mode I need to use but it is in the S5 which is Serial port Exp option.  When I test the command I do see the indicator light on the M1XSP blink indicating something is being sent.  What am I missing?

iceverything said:
6) I have also double checked the BAUD rate which is 9600 the jumper is set to RS485 and the ethernet cable is plugged into both units.
I am not sure where have you plugged the ethernet cable to on the Elk module, but the RS485 pinout connection is important to get right. The RS485 port on M1XSP is a wire only terminal, and the pinout on the Somfy is shown here: https://asset.somfy.com/Document/4cf06c29-3005-491e-8434-69fbf7d5eeb5_Universal_RTS_Interface_Instructions.pdf. You may also consider using the RS232 mode and the cable supplied with the Somfy interface.

This is probably the issue.  So with the ELK came a serial to ethernet adapter which then I plugged that in and didnt think twice about it.  I guess my next question would be is what is the pin out for the serial port on the M1XSP. 

so what is the pinout then for the serial port.  I am a little confused on which wires I need to put into the ethernet plug to get the wiring to communicate

You have to connect  A and B Somfy pinouts to the A and B terminals on the M1XSP to use RS485 mode. You can also use the serial cable that came with Somfy and plug it into the serial port on M1XSP, then set the jumper to RS232.

I never received a rs232 cable from Somfy.  I have reached out to them but in the mean time I figured it would be just as easy to wire it up here.  I have changed the jumper to RS232 on the M1XSP.  I believe by looking at the two documents you sent me Pin 2 is the RXD.  Pin 3 is the TXD and Pin 5 is ground.  According to the drawing from Somfy that should be Pin 6 (TX)  Pin 3 (RX)  and Pin 8 is common so that is ground?  I have tried but still did not get a signal being recieved by teh Universal RTS interface from Somfy.  What am I missing?

iceverything said:
I never received a rs232 cable from Somfy.  I have reached out to them but in the mean time I figured it would be just as easy to wire it up here.  I have changed the jumper to RS232 on the M1XSP.  I believe by looking at the two documents you sent me Pin 2 is the RXD.  Pin 3 is the TXD and Pin 5 is ground.  According to the drawing from Somfy that should be Pin 6 (TX)  Pin 3 (RX)  and Pin 8 is common so that is ground?  I have tried but still did not get a signal being recieved by teh Universal RTS interface from Somfy.  What am I missing?
Debugging serial connection is a tedious exercise. Since you are making custom cables you may want to try and connect 485 terminals (A to A and B to B. You can also get a serial port program like Windmill to see what you receive on the port from your Elk. If you get nothing, that means you got the wiring wrong.

Also, have you Set the rotary switch to position 1? And the RS232 command strings do not have carriage return in the end, while 485 strings do.

Thanks Picta for all of your help.  This was exactly the issue.  Just to recap for those having the same issue in the future.  
1) Register the Elk Serial port with a dedicated address
2) Make sure Baud rate is 9600 and the jumper is set to RS232
3) Connect the URTSI from Somfy and get it talk to the shades using the dial to first assign a channel.  Once this is done and the upper stop and lower stop for the shade is set turn the dial back to the address that you are going to use for the ASCI text.  Mine was 0103U which is 01 address 03 channel of shades and U for it to go up.  You do not need a carriage return.
4) Plug in the LAN cable into the port with the serial adapter provided by Somfy and you are good to go.  

Back