Proximity Fobs & Cards

Mike

First off, thanks to the feedback here, I ordered my Elk M1G last night. Thank you... (I'm expecting a homeseer purchase in the near future as well...)

Now, on to my question: I've read some articles on trends towards codeless alarm systems, and I have seen the proximity fobs/cards that work with the elk. I'm familiar with this type of item from corporate use, but was curious on thoughts of it being used for residential use.

Clearly if you lose your keys or the card, it is an exposure. I'm also guessing though that each card/fob has an id so you can disable them (much like traditional codes). I'm thinking the wife would be very accepting of this, but was trying to determine if this adds exposure.

Any opinions on this (and this is for home use)?

You're going to love that Elk Mike - thanks for your order. I saw that and was thinking, boy, he's not going to want to wait until Monday to get it so I gave you a free upgrade to 2 day air so you'll get it on Friday! :)

Anyway, to your question about prox readers. I personally like them a lot. I have them installed in both of my Elk systems (home & work). My fob will operate both systems which is nice.

The Elk prox readers are installed inside of the keypad. That makes them cheap but it also means that they can't be used outside. The Elk system though can use any standard Wiegand prox reader if you want outside readers. We don't carry any now but hope to have some soon.

Yes, if you lose the card/fob, all you need to do is to deactivate it from the panel. It is a potential security risk I guess but I didn't feel it was too bad especially since right now I'm not controlling door locks with it - maybe my next project....

Thanks for the upgrade!

I was not planning on having them control the door locks, just the internal part of disarming the alarm. Given that it will be easy for the wife (no codes) and as you noted it can be disabled if they are lost or misplaced.

I have no intentions of trying to do the door strike either due to logistics of tearing up walls to get wiring there, but I think I would also be hesitant to use such an approach with home door locks (card/fob access).

I guess each card/fob has a unique ID then that you authenticate then? Or can you set the ID of the card/fob itself?

The card has a Unique ID and it is read and displayed when you enroll it. If lost, just delete that user ID or replace it with a coded ID and it will be useless to the finder (Except he can use it on his Elk M1 :) ).

I use codes for the wife and myself, but for my daughter and 80 year old parents the cards are great......Actually I need some fobs so i guess I will be calling Martin soon.....

AutomatedOutlet said:
You're going to love that Elk Mike - thanks for your order. I saw that and was thinking, boy, he's not going to want to wait until Monday to get it so I gave you a free upgrade to 2 day air so you'll get it on Friday! :)
Hehe, is this guy cool or what!! :)

Back