Pulling chime off doorbell circuit

My diagram is a one door solution. if you have multiple doors you would need one 930 and one 912 per doorbell circuit along with a dummy/disabled doorbell setup like upstatemike discribed unless someone knows of something else that could create over a 900mA draw when activated that would signal the 930.

I have an outer door and an inner door, both of which have buttons.

Can I use the same dummy doorbell for both?

they are activating the same doorbell.

Forgive me for further exposing my ignorance, but as far as being on the same circuit - as the buttons are NO, if I put them on the same circuit, how would that circuit get closed? One would be open, one would be closed [person is pushing the button].

Your doorbell buttons would have to be wired like such

doorbellmuter2.jpg

Do you have a voice announcement in your home? If you do maybe disable the doorbell's ringer with the Elk-912 relay and just use a voice announcement that someone is at the door.

Since the Elk 930 has to see current to detect the doorbell you would use the "double throw" of the Elk-912 relay so either the doorbell or a "dummy" resistor was in the loop.

I'm going to ISC Security Conference at the Sands Convention Center right now, maybe I could impose on Toymaster to provide a schematic (if he thinks it would work first of course).

Don't know what resistor you would have to use, would have to measure the resistance in the circuit presently.

Again, just throwing this out for some thought as I didn't analyze this a lot!

BraveSirRobbin

What you are discribing is the same of what my already posted schematics are. My only question is instead of taking a functioning doorbell and pulling it apart, what kind of resistor is needed to create the 900mA draw that the 930 needs to detect the doorbell activation.

If the doorbell transformer is around 15 volts and you want a trigger current of about 1 amp you would need a 15 ohm resistor rated for 15 watts. (Did I do that right?)

From the online Resistor Calculator I found that is correct. Now the question is where to buy from. It would be nice if our local Radio Shack had them in stock.

Wow, I had no idea the doorbell drew an amp. Also, sorry Toymaster, I should have looked at your schematic closer (the first time).

This idea is probably not one of my better ones! ;)

Could a "dumb" doorbell button be wired directly to a NO contact input on the M1 without any voltage or a 930? I'd like to not use a traditional doorbell at all but let the M1 chime and make a voice announcement when the button is pushed.

I don't actually have an M1 yet but know I'll be getting one soon. Would this work?

Thanks,

Back