Purchasing a new HDTV

I use IR with my non commercial Panny Plasma (58"). Got the discrete codes from Remote Central for power and input selection and it has been flawless.

Dale

You bring up a good point about DISCRETE codes.

My 50" Vizio has a toggle on/off remote button. Also, many of the inputs (HDMI, Component, S-Vid) have two sets of inputs; the remote button for each input type toggles the inputs (say between HDMI-1 and HDMI-2). If I could find DISCRETE remote codes to go DIRECTLY to HDMI-2, I could use IR (and never be "lost" due to lack of TV status feedback).

Did Remote Central give you more remote IR codes than what you could capture from the original remote control that was supplied with the TV? If so, I need to do some looking there.

I purchased a Panny professional model. (TH-50PF9UK) The RS232 commands they include with the user manual are pretty weak but after a long time searching google for better documentation I stumbled on the mother load (for these models anyway...).

Chris

Where did you buy it, and why did you use that particular vendor?

I see these on the net for as low as $2,199. No built in tuner (bad), RS232 (good), no 1080p HDMI (bad) :blink: .

I bought it from Newegg for $2699 a LONG time ago when that was a good price.... you know long ago like last month. Oh well. I did end up with the 5 year extended warranty deal that Panasonic was giving away at the time so I guess that is something. Newegg like always did great.

There is a lot of information on this set (and the 720P model) on this link. I didn't need a tuner specifically as this will be driven from my HTPC and the lack of the 1080P HDMI input card is only a short term problem in my assumption. I think they will come out with a 1080P card soon that should work with the series 9 sets. I probably will use my DVI cable even after then anyway...

Chris

I was at Costco today and saw a RS232 port on the Maxent line of TV's!!!!

From their website, they advertise that their TV's have an RS-232 control port. See link, and scroll to bottom of the page Maxent Link.

Now, has anyone been able to find these control codes (I haven't asked Maxent yet, but I will be calling tech support come Monday).

I wish they has a 1080P model that was 58 inchs; that would be "MY TV".

I was at Costco today and saw a RS232 port on the Maxent line of TV's!!!!

From their website, they advertise that their TV's have an RS-232 control port. See link, and scroll to bottom of the page Maxent Link.

Now, has anyone been able to find these control codes (I haven't asked Maxent yet, but I will be calling tech support come Monday).

I wish they has a 1080P model that was 58 inchs; that would be "MT TV".

This is GREAT news. Both their Plasmas and LCDs have the RS-232 port AND their affordable. The 58" Plasma is showing up at around $2,500! I can't find much on them yet, but I might be giving them a call on Monday to see if they have the RS-232 specs.

I use IR with my non commercial Panny Plasma (58"). Got the discrete codes from Remote Central for power and input selection and it has been flawless.

Dale

My 50" Vizio has a toggle on/off remote button. Also, many of the inputs (HDMI, Component, S-Vid) have two sets of inputs; the remote button for each input type toggles the inputs (say between HDMI-1 and HDMI-2). If I could find DISCRETE remote codes to go DIRECTLY to HDMI-2, I could use IR (and never be "lost" due to lack of TV status feedback).

Did Remote Central give you more remote IR codes than what you could capture from the original remote control that was supplied with the TV? If so, I need to do some looking there.
Don't bother. There are NO discrete codes for the Vizio's (unless you count vol+/vol-, LOL). You have to build workarounds to make even a kludgy, and I mean KLUDGY solution. That is easily the number one issue with the Vizio line followed closely by their abysmal SD picture "quality". The plasmas do a great job with HD. The LCD's might as well be paperweights, IMHO.

You may also want to take a look at the Sharp Aquos LC-52D92U or the Sharp LC-46D92U. Both have RS-232 and are 1080P. I haven't played with their protocol but these are excellent televisions IMHO.

i have a 42 inch vizio lcd in the bedroom. i have no issues with it. the picture is fine for the bedroom. actually, i really like it. actually, one small issue: the remote must be pointed directly at the receiver, that sucks. oh, and of course not being able to program a universal remote. but as far as pic, i think its fine. not what i would want in the home theatre but in a bedroom, its a good tv for the price.

i have a 42 inch vizio lcd in the bedroom. i have no issues with it. the picture is fine for the bedroom. actually, i really like it. actually, one small issue: the remote must be pointed directly at the receiver, that sucks. oh, and of course not being able to program a universal remote. but as far as pic, i think its fine. not what i would want in the home theatre but in a bedroom, its a good tv for the price.
As a secondary TV, sure, it's passable. Barely. When exposed to better gear it is difficult to "go backwards", though.

No doubt the price is right. Heck, smile pretty and Costco will let you take one home. :)

for online etailers, visualapex.com is the only way to fly. my F.I.L. bought his panny there, dozens of AVSers did too, and I'm about to pick up a 509HUK (last months model, 720p) for $1400.

think newegg or cheaper rock-bottom prices, and AO's level of customer service in one store.

Dale

Remote Central had several discrete codes for the Panny that the remote does not have. But as you have seen from other posts it is very device specific. I made sure Panny had discrete codes before I purchased but most people probably don't know such things exist.

There is a lot of information on this set (and the 720P model) on this link. I didn't need a tuner specifically as this will be driven from my HTPC and the lack of the 1080P HDMI input card is only a short term problem in my assumption. I think they will come out with a 1080P card soon that should work with the series 9 sets. I probably will use my DVI cable even after then anyway...

I'm pretty sure I have access to one of these cards, however I don't yet know enough about them to say for sure it's compatible with your display.

It is HDCP compliant, uses DVI only though.

I'm pretty sure I have access to one of these cards, however I don't yet know enough about them to say for sure it's compatible with your display.

It is HDCP compliant, uses DVI only though.
Interesting...

Most of the LG sets (including the smaller ones) have a serial port for control. The control is quite extensive and the big plus is that they are all similar to each other so if you write one you only needs small mods for the others.

Mick

I have a Zenith 50" plasma that is made by LG (I don't remember the model number off hand) that has RS-232. I have it connected up the to the HA server and can control all the functions nicely.

Eric

I have a Zenith 50" plasma that is made by LG (I don't remember the model number off hand) that has RS-232. I have it connected up the to the HA server and can control all the functions nicely.

Eric

Did you write the control yourself, or did it come with a HA package like ML or CQC?

Back