Putting Elk M1 on network with EPS1...great!

Guy Lavoie

I have been testing the Elk M1 being accessed through a Lantronix EPS1 print server's serial port and it has been working really well. These print servers can often be bought for $5 to $10 on ebay and I have been using them in all sorts of applications such as accessing my Ocelot, PHAnderson kit, homegrown serial microcontroller projects, etc. and they have yet to fail me. It was only natural that I'd try it with the Elk and it is working fine with this unit too.

To do this, I have set up the EPS1's serial port to 115,200 baud and then configured ELKRP to access the M1 at the EPS1's IP address and port 3001. All serial port options must be left unchecked except for Xon/Xoff passthru mode (in order to get a true binary path).

I've done things like enroll a M1XSP, upgrade its firmware, load rules, etc through the EPS1 without any problems. This gives us a nice, inexpensive network connectivity option.

Guy Lavoie said:
I have been testing the Elk M1 being accessed through a Lantronix EPS1 print server's serial port and it has been working really well. These print servers can often be bought for $5 to $10 on ebay and I have been using them in all sorts of applications such as accessing my Ocelot, PHAnderson kit, homegrown serial microcontroller projects, etc. and they have yet to fail me. It was only natural that I'd try it with the Elk and it is working fine with this unit too.

To do this, I have set up the EPS1's serial port to 115,200 baud and then configured ELKRP to access the M1 at the EPS1's IP address and port 3001. All serial port options must be left unchecked except for Xon/Xoff passthru mode (in order to get a true binary path).

I've done things like enroll a M1XSP, upgrade its firmware, load rules, etc through the EPS1 without any problems. This gives us a nice, inexpensive network connectivity option.
Does it give you multiuser capability? Does it appear as a virtual Com Port? Do you have any links on Ebay selling these? Sounds interesting so far. I think Elk over charges for their peripherals. I dont mind paying a little more but 200+ for ethernet and 130+ dollars for Z-wave is high. What also be nice rather than a serial expander is a USB expander that would support the new Intermatic Zwave USB stick that is only 39 bucks. That being said, Elk M1G is a great product and I am very glad I have it.

Tom

No, it doesn't give you multiuser capability. In the end, it still is a point to point connection. The nice thing here is that no physical serial connection is needed between ELKRP and the M1, and it also makes it easier to access the M1 from several different PC (but one at a time).

The Elk Ethernet option is also a web server, so it offers functionality of its own, including multiple access. What I'm discussing here is network telnet-like connectivity only.

Often you need to use a virtual com port to use device servers with programs that normally expect only serial connections, but ELKRP has built-in support for IP connectivity, requiring you to enter just the IP address and port number to get going.

On ebay, just look for "Lantronix" or "EPS1". I bought over a dozen of these devices and I'm using over half of them already.

The main advantage to using a Lantronix port and virtual com port is you don't need the serial wires running from a serial enabled device to your computer. You can use (in most cases) existing network wiring for the serial device and the computer itself is probably already network enabled.

Guy,

What program and port are you using to connect to the Elk? I would like to send simple serial strings to the Elk to trigger tasks, etc but can't seem to establish a telnet-like connection on any port. ElkRP and the interface work fine, but sending ASCII text and listening for Elk status messages over my Elk Ethernet expander is a bear. It's probably something simple, but it escapes me right now.

Thanks

Guy,

What program and port are you using to connect to the Elk? I would like to send simple serial strings to the Elk to trigger tasks, etc but can't seem to establish a telnet-like connection on any port. ElkRP and the interface work fine, but sending ASCII text and listening for Elk status messages over my Elk Ethernet expander is a bear. It's probably something simple, but it escapes me right now.

Thanks

The serial port of a Lantronix EPS1 maps to port 3001. This is the port I have ELKRP connect to. The EPS1's serial port is configured for a fully binary bidirectional connection (passthru mode is enabled) and is set to 115200 baud.

How do you write rules for the M1 to send to it? I only see "send text to port" and option to select the serial port number, 1 to 15.??

You should be able to send a string through serial port 0 which is the main RS-232 port on the M1 that connects to an ethernet device.

There is a lot going on in the M1XEP other than a simple serial port pass through to get the response speed up from the M1. To setup the TS07 touch screens, there are commands broadcast from the M1XEP.

ELK has a new multiple connection, basic operation ethernet to RS-232 module called the IP232 which works similiar to the EPS1, but with up to 12 connections.

No, it doesn't give you multiuser capability. In the end, it still is a point to point connection. The nice thing here is that no physical serial connection is needed between ELKRP and the M1, and it also makes it easier to access the M1 from several different PC (but one at a time).

The Elk Ethernet option is also a web server, so it offers functionality of its own, including multiple access. What I'm discussing here is network telnet-like connectivity only.

Often you need to use a virtual com port to use device servers with programs that normally expect only serial connections, but ELKRP has built-in support for IP connectivity, requiring you to enter just the IP address and port number to get going.

On ebay, just look for "Lantronix" or "EPS1". I bought over a dozen of these devices and I'm using over half of them already.
Hey Guy:

I picked up a Lantronix MSS100 on Ebay recently to do the exact same thing you are doing but havn't had time to play with it much yet. I did get it working and flashed the software with latest upgrade but I had been digging through the documentation trying to figure out which port to use. You post is encouraging....Thanx

I have all my serial interfaces, save a DS9097U, behind serial/IP adapters. I typically use the EPS4/8/12 in my hub locations and I have a few EPS1's in single-use places. There is a document I wrote up called lanports.doc that is posted at a few places such as post #9 at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=120903 to show some setup and cabling data. It really makes it easy to move IO around in multi-computer environments without the need to move any cables. The point of service aspect is also convenient so the single LAN house wiring can be used rather than running additional cables.

I have all my serial interfaces, save a DS9097U, behind serial/IP adapters. I typically use the EPS4/8/12 in my hub locations and I have a few EPS1's in single-use places. There is a document I wrote up called lanports.doc that is posted at a few places such as post #9 at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=120903 to show some setup and cabling data. It really makes it easy to move IO around in multi-computer environments without the need to move any cables. The point of service aspect is also convenient so the single LAN house wiring can be used rather than running additional cables.

Due to the lack of ELK IP232s, I tried using an ELK M1XEP as a standalone "Serial to IP" box but was unsuccessful. It requires an active M1G to communicate with. However, it would have been a kick-ass 30 socket device that would have been awesome in the interim. Does anyone know of a device like the IP232 with multiple socket sesssions?

-=*Sharby*=-

Back