Question about Elk & RCS Serial Thermostat

Spot

Does the Elk software allow you to create events based upon the current operating mode reported by the thermostat?

In my Homeseer 2 setup, the thermostat would report that it was in stage 1 (or whatever) stage heat as an operating mode.  I used that information to trigger other events.  Since HS3, I cannot access these status changes to trigger events.  

The standard answer is to upgrade the thermostats, but I do not want to go to a cloud-based thermostat solution for a multitude of reasons.  Therefore...I'm looking into options to get these to work reliably.

Thanks for any thoughts

I don't have a RCS thermostat on my system, but I believe you can do what you want.  There are rule options that allow you to take action based on the mode of the thermostat (e.g. heat, cool, fan mode), the temperature the thermostat is set to, as well as the actual temperature.

I have an Elk M1g with TR-16 thermostat. Connect with Homeseer HS4 now but same UltraM1G plugin as HS3.

I added 4 24vac relays tapped into
the thermostat outputs so i can monitor what it is doing and determine mode for events and other HA logic.

991dbdfd5ad467590d6bd0a4960d9f32.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.

I actually use the operating mode to kick on some booster fans for several ducts.  It has been very reliable instead of relying on a sail switch.

Couple that with our need for a new alarm system & Elk looks like a good option.

If for some reason the ELK does not support that, you can always use CQC to do it.  I have both the ELK and RCS thermostats and can confirm that the heating and cooling stages are reported and can be used as triggers.  Dean is about to open source CQC, and the latest beta versions don't require any licensing to work.

sic0048 said:
If for some reason the ELK does not support that, you can always use CQC to do it.  I have both the ELK and RCS thermostats and can confirm that the heating and cooling stages are reported and can be used as triggers.  Dean is about to open source CQC, and the latest beta versions don't require any licensing to work.
I know that Dean had pondered changing his business model before, but I wasn't at a place to invest the time relearning a new automation model/language.  This is intriguing...and I assume that it integrates well with the ELK?

I thought whever triggers were just what mode is selected. Not if it is in an actual running state. That why went with the relays to see when the fan or compressor or changeover valve for heat was called for and running. I have a TR-16 connected to my M1G but did not see where it would report actual running states. Did i miss something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot said:
I know that Dean had pondered changing his business model before, but I wasn't at a place to invest the time relearning a new automation model/language.  This is intriguing...and I assume that it integrates well with the ELK?
The ELK has always been supported in CQC and is therefore a very mature and reliable device within the CQC structure.  I am not aware of any ELK functionality that isn't available inside of CQC.

Pretty sure whole house audio isn't available through CQC for ELK (or OmniPro either), but otherwise you are right.

The docs for the drivers explain what is supported, and what is not mentioned can be inferred to be unsupported.

-Tom

serodgers said:
I thought whever triggers were just what mode is selected. Not if it is in an actual running state. That why went with the relays to see when the fan or compressor or changeover valve for heat was called for and running. I have a TR-16 connected to my M1G but did not see where it would report actual running states. Did i miss something? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thermostat does report when it enters a heating/cooling mode & fan state.  I would have to pull out the reference guide (It's in the serial protocol description).  Homeseer 2 and earlier had event triggers that used those state changes.

Back