Questions re: simple single CCTV setup

berserkr

Hello, new here, hoping someone can help me out.  I'm looking to install a single camera above my garage and I want to do it in the simplest, most effective way possible.  My concerns are:

1. No way to run CAT5 to the router.  I have a power outlet inside the garage, so I was considering running a POE camera (probably a Dahua 2mp or 3mp), and using a Powerline adaptor + POE injector.  Any concerns here?

2. Recording and remote viewing.  I want to record obviously, either motion activated, or more likely continuous on a 2 week cycle that overwrites the oldest data once I hit capacity. I don't have space on my desktop HD and don't want to build a dedicated machine.  I do have a few spare external HDDs.  Is there a simple solution (software maybe) that will allow me to record to the HDD (preferably plugged directly to the router, alternatively to the desktop) and enable remote viewing?  If the HDD is not an option, what is the next best alternative, keeping in mind budget and ease of use?

What is your requirement/need for the camera? Are you just trying to detect general activity infront of the garage, or something more?

Yes, just general detection, document any attempted criminal activity etc.  Some neighbors have had garages broken into and scumbags trying front doors.  It's a small lot but I'd like to be able to get the clearest picture possible on a reasonable budget.

The simplest/cheapest option to me would be to add an analog DVR and camera.

I've seen 4 camera systems, including DVR, for <$200 (bring your own HDD, which you already have).

Appreciate the response, but I'm not clear how the HDD would work with a DVR - isn't the DVR standalone?  Also, is remote viewing possible on analog?

berserkr said:
Appreciate the response, but I'm not clear how the HDD would work with a DVR - isn't the DVR standalone?  Also, is remote viewing possible on analog?

Here's an inexpensive example as I was referring to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX1FH8946

This system comes with 4 cameras, but supports up to 8; allowing you to add more later if you so desire.

As the product states, this comes with no HDD installed; add your own. Many of the DVR solutions that have HDDs installed are more expensive than you would pay for the same size HDD of your own; the same system with a 1TB HDD is $105 more. You can get a 2TB drive for around that cost.

I'm not sure what you meant by standalone, but remote viewing is possible. The DVR has an Ethernet connection that allows remote access. As you mentioned, if Ethernet is an issue to get back to the router, the powerline adapters (or other solutions) will also work.

Each camera can also be setup with motion detection areas (e.g. your driveway) and email you an alert anytime it recognizes motion in that area. Be careful doing so because you may get a flood of alerts. The system investigates the pixels and usually doesn't differentiate between shadows and real items. Similarly, they don't necessarily differentiate between a person in the driveway and a bird/bug near the lens of the camera; either one appears as a sizable object moving in the view of the camera.

Back