quick questions and looking for advice

charliebarns

so we're building a new house. I had originally chosen an Ademco V20p to install and I've done all the prewiring for doors, windows, motion, sirens, smoke and touchscreens. I was going to install the 8132i touchscreen so I can view all my security cams when I stumbled upon HAI OmniPro. While more expensive, it's much more versatile than the Ademco system. I do have a few questions before I delve into it though...

1) How much more difficult is it to install than a standard alarm system?

2) I can't find much on the type of contacts/PIRs it uses, can I just use any standard 2 wire contact or 4 wire PIR?

3) Can I install the basic system now, and expand it later to add lighting control etc?

TIA!

You can also look at the ELK M1 Gold. It is similar to the HAI OmniPro, but arguably more DIY friendly and the basic system is cheaper than the HAI (mainly due to the HAI having more built in capacity while the ELK has more add on units - overall functionality can be about equal between the two units). Certainly on this forum, more people use the ELK than the HAI.

But to answer your questions.

1) Should be about the same for basic alarm functions. As the HAI and Elk simply act as a regular alarm system with other functionality that doesn't need to be utilized at first.

2) Pretty much any standard alarm device should be able to be used. They are very flexible in the types of devices you can use.

3) Yes, see answer #1.

so we're building a new house. I had originally chosen an Ademco V20p to install and I've done all the prewiring for doors, windows, motion, sirens, smoke and touchscreens. I was going to install the 8132i touchscreen so I can view all my security cams when I stumbled upon HAI OmniPro. While more expensive, it's much more versatile than the Ademco system. I do have a few questions before I delve into it though...

1) How much more difficult is it to install than a standard alarm system?

2) I can't find much on the type of contacts/PIRs it uses, can I just use any standard 2 wire contact or 4 wire PIR?

3) Can I install the basic system now, and expand it later to add lighting control etc?

TIA!

I used to have a Ademco V20p but now I have a HAI Omni Pro II. Considering how much all the wiring, sensors, etc. cost, its a bit silly not to invest a few $100 on the most important part, the panel. There are two smaller versions of Omni that are cheaper, if you don't need all the capability of the Pro II.

As for installing, not much difference, and the same contacts and PIRs work, plus a whole lot more with wireless options. And yes, you can install the basic panel, and it works just like the Vista. Then, at a later time, you can add new light switches of your choosing. The Omni supports many different types. The Omni also supports adding video cameras, whole house audio, etc. You can add X-10 to the Vista, but its very primative, and it only supports X-10, which is basically on its way out. I'd use UPB for lighting control. Very reliable.

thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like the Omni (or Elk I'll have to investigate) is a better choice for me. I did notice that the Elk touchscreens are ridiculously more expensive than other touchscreens. But maybe I can use an HAI or Ademco touchscreen with the Elk. So in terms of my current wiring I shouldn't need to change anything it's just the panel etc I'll change (instead of the Ademco). I'm sure Ill be back with many more questions!

thanks!

I removed my Vista 20P and installed an HAI OmniProII about 2 months ago. I installed an old tablet PC on the wall in the kitchen and run SnapLink on it. I have a single keypad by the back door. I also use the H@me control on the iPhone.

Highly recommended.

thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like the Omni (or Elk I'll have to investigate) is a better choice for me. I did notice that the Elk touchscreens are ridiculously more expensive than other touchscreens. But maybe I can use an HAI or Ademco touchscreen with the Elk. So in terms of my current wiring I shouldn't need to change anything it's just the panel etc I'll change (instead of the Ademco). I'm sure Ill be back with many more questions!

thanks!

Well if you are really interested in home automation and the use of touch screens etc, then you may consider a software based home automation system like CQC, Mainlobby, or Homeseer, etc. Again, this is something that can be added much later, but they basically allow you to tie normally separate systems (like the alarm panel, TVs, touch screens, HVAC, CCTV, etc) together into one controllable system. So you could always add much less expensive touchscreen to either the ELK or the Omnipro if you so desire. Of course there is a cost to the automation software, but it can definitely be less expensive that way, especially if you end up with more than 1 touchscreen.

PS - I use CQC myself. Just for full disclosure.

Back