Looking for advice in choosing my alarm system

I have 2 options and I'm looking for advice.  We bought the house 3 yrs ago and it has an existing Omni LT panel + 2 keypads and a couple of PIRs and door sensors and siren, but I'm going to have to re-install the sensors because of the new layout, and I have no idea how old they are.  I've never actually used this system.  We'll end up with 9 windows (4 zones), 3 doors (3 zones), and 5 PIRs, and I'll be putting in a cellular board for communication to the central station.  I'm putting in a RadioRA 2 lighting system, and would like to integrate this with the security system.
        Option 1 is to upgrade the board to an LTe, keep the keypads and refresh the sensors and battery.  I'd use OmniStats for my HVAC in this case.  I like this option because of the easy integration with the RR2, and the automation functionality.  I dislike it because the HAI apps aren't great, adding wireless receivers (security and/or z-wave) for future expansion is expensive, and overall it seems like Leviton isn't putting many resources into it and in general its not a widely used system.
        Option 2 is to put in a Vista 20p, with a 6160RF keypad and a Tuxedo Touch Wifi for my other keypad, and the 4232CBM for integration with the RadioRa2.  I like this because I'll be able to easily add wireless (security) sensors and/or z-wave devices (since lighting is RR2, I'd use it for door locks and thermostats right now).  The TT would be at the main entry, which is nice because it's more attractive and 'cool' than an old fashioned keypad.  I also feel that Honeywell is very well supported and widely used and they continually put resources into their products.  On the downside, the Honeywell/RR2 integration is limited to triggering based on general alarm states and not individual zones, but it's probably sufficient.
       Cost wise it isn't a huge difference between the two, so that doesn't impact my decision

20P is a capable panel but you might be better suited looking at either a M1 or EZ8 panel and get more flexibility and abilities. You're most likely going to be looking at an RMR based solution vs. owning outright and being able to do as you please (owned vs licensed/subscription).

The tux is OK, but in actuality, it's still going to be limited in usage. Think about whether you really want to view cameras on it or not.

Personally you already have some investments in your Leviton Omni stuff.  Why change something you are already familiar with?

Here utilize Omnipro 2 panels and software a la carte which adds more functionality to the combination panel.

Relating to what is connected serially to the Omnipro 2 I have X10, UPB, Z-Wave and now Zigbee and all of my in wall switches are UPB.

The controllers are inexpensive.  Security is security is security.  Personally here it is all wired.  The automation is simple and just works.

Expansion is a bit tight stacking boards a bit; but that said the OP2 panel offers just about everything you want with the base. 

Yeah, if you want to do any automation in the future, I'd stick with the Omni (or an Elk).  The Vista is just security really, similar to a DSC (although I prefer the DSC myself.)

I looked at Tuxedo Touch a year or two ago, and decided on a Lumina(lower priced Omni without security)/DSC combo instead.

pete_c said:
Personally you already have some investments in your Leviton Omni stuff.  Why change something you are already familiar with?

Here utilize Omnipro 2 panels and software a la carte which adds more functionality to the combination panel.

Relating to what is connected serially to the Omnipro 2 I have X10, UPB, Z-Wave and now Zigbee and all of my in wall switches are UPB.

The controllers are inexpensive.  Security is security is security.  Personally here it is all wired.  The automation is simple and just works.

Expansion is a bit tight stacking boards a bit; but that said the OP2 panel offers just about everything you want with the base. 

I inherited the Omni system and haven't ever actually used it, so I'm not familiar with it.  The savings (not inconsiderable) is for the 2 keypads, but is offset by the cost of a new controller board and the in general extra expense of Omni equipment vs. the more broadly available Honeywell equipment.  The real benefit vs. what the Honeywell can do is in the ability to control individual RadioRa 2 devices and to trigger events based off of individual zone state changes rather than just alarm state changes.  But that's more a theoretical issue at this point for me as I can't think of any instances where I would immediately want to use it and where it may not cause as many issues as it would solve.

emrosenberg said:
I inherited the Omni system and haven't ever actually used it, so I'm not familiar with it.  The savings (not inconsiderable) is for the 2 keypads, but is offset by the cost of a new controller board and the in general extra expense of Omni equipment vs. the more broadly available Honeywell equipment.  The real benefit vs. what the Honeywell can do is in the ability to control individual RadioRa 2 devices and to trigger events based off of individual zone state changes rather than just alarm state changes.  But that's more a theoretical issue at this point for me as I can't think of any instances where I would immediately want to use it and where it may not cause as many issues as it would solve.
If you do home automation, you'll definitely want to trigger off zone states. Turn on lights when motion detectors trip, for example. And with the Omni, a Zone doesn't have to be an alarm zone. My package box is a zone, flood sensors are zones which turn of the main water valve for a leak.  I even have the washer and dryer as zones, so my wife can get an announcement when the clothes are done.  These are all things you'll appreciate if you become involved in home automation.  If you don't plan to, why are you adding RadioRa2 switches?   

ano said:
If you do home automation, you'll definitely want to trigger off zone states. Turn on lights when motion detectors trip, for example. And with the Omni, a Zone doesn't have to be an alarm zone. My package box is a zone, flood sensors are zones which turn of the main water valve for a leak.  I even have the washer and dryer as zones, so my wife can get an announcement when the clothes are done.  These are all things you'll appreciate if you become involved in home automation.  If you don't plan to, why are you adding RadioRa2 switches?   
So that's a good question.  First is timing - we are doing a big reno/addition so with the walls opened up and new systems going in now is the time to do things.  Secondly is lifestyle - we have a few kids and up till now there has almost always been someone at home, or in and out of the house, virtually every day.  With the youngest heading to full time school the house will be empty for large portions of time, so I want some kind of security system and energy savings HVAC controls.  I think that lighting programs for prevention and security system for detection/notification is a good setup.  Plus with more consistent routines and a larger house the lighting will be more useful than it would have been when someone is always home and there are no set routines for much of the household.

Ano,

He could spit the data out of the Vista using the 4232 and programming. The main item he's going to be lacking is the ability to perform complex actions. The Vistas only allow really basic actions for on/off commands and what is sent out to 3rd party devices, so there would need to be some heavy lifting done elsewhere.

As far as HAI vs. Honeywell, you're not going to win the pricing. Same issue also holds true with planning which panel must be bought up front....either a hardware hobbled panel or a $1500 panel. This is part of the attraction of an Elk M1 or EZ8. More modularity and scalability. From installing ALL the panels mentioned, a 20P or DSC with expansion is going to be in the realm of a EZ8, and expand an EZ8 and you're at the basic cost of a M1, which is 1/3 the cost of an OPII. The IIE is going to be hobbled, and really the LT is as limited as you can get in the line.

The budget comes down to whether or not the value can be justified or the install must be scalable. I'd shy away from DSC (build quality issues soured me) and the Honeywell (limited interface without a 3rd party controller)

Back