Rc-80 omnistat HAI thermostat to control a fireplace

I have a omnistat rc-2000 HAI thermostat to control my hvac. Apparently the omniproll knows when this thermostat calls for heat, but I assume the older RC-80 does not act the same way.

I thought I would use the old thermostat to control the fireplace with an automation block that says "when the RC-80 tstat is heating, turn on fireplace relay" which is hooked up to the fireplace switch, but I dont think the omniproll knows when the rc-80 is "heating"

The RC-80 is communicating with the omniproll as I see the temp, setpoints and outdoor temp in software, but I will need some advice how to connect a relay to the rc-80 to close the fireplace switch.

I have 24 VAC supplied from the omniproll panel to the R and C connections on the rc-80, and the data cables hooked up and working.
I am unsure where to put the 24 vac relay. Am I correct that when the tstat calls for heat it will send 24vac out of one of the terminals?

Does anyone know how to help me solve this, or have a better way to do this?

Why not control the relay directly from OP2? Then you can use rules with inputs from RC80:

EVERY 5 SECONDS
        AND IF TH_Kitchen CURRENT TEMPERATURE IS LESS THAN Kit day SP BY MORE THAN 1
            THEN OUT1-11 ON

My guess is the OP doesn't really want to run more cabling to the Omni, part of me worries about how the 24VAC is provided from the panel....but I'd suggest using a RIB to isolate and make the contact dry.

What I think I will do is find out if 24 vac comes out of the w terminal when heat is called for. Would 24 vac appear during heating on the w and c terminals? I made a bridge rectifier to convert the ac to dc as I only have a 24dc relay on hand. If I do it this way it will isolate the panel voltage from the fireplace. I could then close the switch on the fireplace with the relay, and could also use the other pole of the relay to trigger an input so the omniproll panel knows when the rc-80 is calling for heat ,adding some other programming possibilities

What do you think?

Well, for anyone wanting to use an old rc-80 omnistat to control a fireplace, the above works, just connect the data as a normal connection to the omni panel, run 24vac from the panel to power the thermostat to the R and C screws, then run a pair from the W and C screws to a 24vac relay. When the thermostat calls for heat, the relay closes. The relay no connections closes the fireplace switch.

If you only have a 24vdc relay like me, you can turn the 24vac coming out of the W and C connections to dc by buiding a bridge rectifier using 4 4001 or similar diodes.

honeymonkey said:
I have a omnistat rc-2000 HAI thermostat to control my hvac. Apparently the omniproll knows when this thermostat calls for heat, but I assume the older RC-80 does not act the same way.

I thought I would use the old thermostat to control the fireplace with an automation block that says "when the RC-80 tstat is heating, turn on fireplace relay" which is hooked up to the fireplace switch, but I dont think the omniproll knows when the rc-80 is "heating"

You can do conditions with the heating status, but you need to use a trigger in front of it.  I use a time loop of every 15 seconds.  I have an annoying announcement every 15 seconds if the furnace kicks on and someone left the front door open (also have it for the kitchen to garage door).

EVERY 15 SECONDS
AND IF Home Heating SYSTEM STATUS IS HEATING 
AND IF Zone - Front Door Wireless NOT READY
THEN SAY FURNACE ON (Short Pause) CLOSE FRONT DOOR

Back