RC-80 Thermostat programming code

BobS0327

I am trying to turn on my RC-80 thermostat to heat mode when the inside temperature as indicated on the thermostat drops below 37 and turn the thermostat off if the temperature goes above 39.  In other words, I'm trying to keep the inside temp a few degrees above the freezing point. Unfortunately, the code doesn't appear to be working since the temperature dropped as low as 35 and the heat did not turn on. I verified that the Armed Away Flag is ON

I also did notice that I cannot manually set the heat setpoint below 47.  For example if I try to set it to 39, it will automatically reset itself to 47.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in making the following code work.

100.    WHEN Armed Away Flag ON
        AND IF THERMOSTAT CURRENT TEMPERATURE IS LESS THAN 37
            THEN THERMOSTAT MODE HEAT
101.    WHEN Armed Away Flag ON
        AND IF THERMOSTAT CURRENT TEMPERATURE IS GREATER THAN 39
            THEN THERMOSTAT MODE OFF

There are setpoint limits in the Thermostat, you might try checking those.  

But, If you are not fully winterizing (turning off water/emptying pipes, not emptying your toilets and/or putting in antifreeze (traps too), and turning off/emptying your hot water heater), I would not recommend cutting the temp that close.  That is only the temp at the thermostat, other areas of your home may get cooler.  One room can easily be 5 degrees cooler than another.

I have had two vacation homes, I always set my at 50 when leaving if I didn't fully winterize (which is not a bad idea anyway).  You never know if you might have a power failure, etc.  I have learned my lessons the hard way, broken toilet tanks, leaks of all kinds. 

Although, I'm not currently home and cannot actually verify the set points, but, I believe my RC80 is set to the factory defaults for heating and cooling set points which are 91 and 51 degrees respectively.

Yep, I did winterize my home by draining the water pipes, water heater and adding RV anti freeze to sinks, toilets, traps etc.  Also, I have a Generac Automatic Standby Generator installed because my area is subject to a lot of power outages.  The HAI system and the furnace are on the backup Generac system.

Not sure of your model, but don't rely too heavily on the Generac to keep things together either - they have pretty bad track records of breaking down during extended outages unfortunately.

Work2Play said:
Not sure of your model, but don't rely too heavily on the Generac to keep things together either - they have pretty bad track records of breaking down during extended outages unfortunately.
If memory serves me correctly, it's a 5824 12 circuit Generac purchased in October 2005.  I have on average about two or three outages a year.  About 99% of these outages last between 4 and 8 hours.  But during Sandy, my outage was a little over three days.

I recently noticed that my Generac probably needs a tune up.  Used a multi meter to determine that the frequency is a little out of spec.  Also, their cabinets are notorious for rusting.  I had my first cabinet replaced under warranty because it started rusting within three months of purchase.  Generac folks told me to wax the replacement cabinet.  So, I wax it once a year and that prevents it from rusting.

I've just recently retired and am doing the "snowbird" thing by living down South in Jan and Feb to avoid the Northern cold weather.  So, I have a manual backup for the system.  If for any reason I cannot connect to the HAI, I just call my son who lives about 5 miles from my residence and ask him to check on things.

Good plan - I'd looked at generators a few times and saw some real horror stories - but if you've gotten that long out of it, yours must not have the same fatal flaws of certain newer ones.  A lot of companies have their good and their low quality versions.

@BobS0327

For your issue with programmed temps returning to the original setting, if the thermostat is set to "Hold" your programs will not override the hold temperature. The thermostat will change for a moment then go back to the hold temp.

I used PC Access to verify that the thermostat wasn't set to "Hold" and I then executed the code.  Thermostat temp setting did return to the original temp setting after the code executed.  So, I guess that rules out the "Hold" theory as the culprit.

Thanx for the suggestion

It seems to me that, the way you have these rules written, the ambient temp would only be checked at the moment the away flag gets turned on (presumably when you arm away).  To make this work, you could re-write both rules like this:

WHENEVER EVERY X MINUTES
AND IF CURRENT TEMP IS LESS THAN XX
AND IF AWAY FLAG ON
THEN THERMOSTAT MODE HEAT.

You probably wouldn't even need the 2nd condition checking the away flag state, since, when you are at the location, you would have a more comfortable heating setpoint, so the ambient temp would never get anywhere near 39.

Sorry about not using the
Code:
 formatting... haven't posted since it was implemented, and I'm short on time to work through it at the moment since I'm at work.

Hope this helps.

Back