RCS TR-40 "Thermostat not enabled"

Sendero

Hoping someone on here can help out. The thermostat works fine on it's own. I hooked up the M1SP today and it was enrolled just fine by ELK. But when I try to see it on the keypad I get a message of "thermostat not enabled". Any ideas?

btw, I verified the thermostat is at address 1.

electron said:
I assume the M1XSP shows up as enrolled in ElkRP?
Yup, the M1XSP is the only one I have. It was enrolled correctly and shows up at address 1. But when I try to use the keypad it shows "T01 : Not Enabled".

I never got it to work myself. I used to call Bruce at RCS several times a day to get this thing to work, but with no success.

Latest update :
I decided to purchase a cheapy RS485/RS232 adapter from a friend and tried it out tonight. The RCS software for Thermostat control works great. No issues at all with communication.

The ELK M1XSP however, is apparently not able to work. I don't see any noticeable error/flashing messages on the M1XSP. Just about 10 flashes and then a number of quick flashes, in a repeating pattern. From the manual, this appears to be normal behavior.

BUT, I still get nothing on my keypads. When I go into the system and check on thermostats it just shows:
Main
T01 : Not Enabled

This is really frustrating. I have re-enrolled the XSP and flashed its bios as well. I have re-verified all the jumpers on it and still nothing. Any ideas? How can I proceed on this? or should I just give up on the ELK controlling it and use CQC for it instead (not what I want to do due to wiring).

Sendero said:
The ELK M1XSP however, sucks.
I'm sure you are frustrated, but I also believe you don't really mean that. I know you have checked everything, but... how is is connected, RS232 or 485? What are your settings for s5-s8, J3 and J1?

Steve said:
Sendero said:
The ELK M1XSP however, sucks.
I'm sure you are frustrated, but I also believe you don't really mean that. I know you have checked everything, but... how is is connected, RS232 or 485? What are your settings for s5-s8, J3 and J1?
You're right, I am frustrated ;) And I didn't mean that the M1XSP sucks, its connectivity to the RCS is just not working :)

I don't recall the settings right now, but they did specifically match the settings shown in the manual for the XSP when connecting to the RCS thermostats via RS485.

The problem with calling ELk tech support is that their hours don't line up well with my work hours since they're on Eastern time and not open on weekends. I did just find their e-mail address today though. I'll followup with that.

Don't forget a lot of Elk's technical people were at the ISC 2007 West convention here in Las Vegas this week (just saw Spanky there yesterday) so call backs might be a bit slow. ;)

Did you get this resolved? I finally got around to hooking up my TR40 and I'm seeing the EXACT same thing. Thermostat works (have been using it manually for about a year) just fine. XSP is enrolled, etc. But I get the T01: Not enabled on my keypad.

I had an issue connecting my RCS stat to my homevision. Couldn't get it to work...until I swapped the A/B data lines around. I had something backwards (not tx/rx, but the differential's). One swap and it went from doing nothing to working perfectly.
YMMV

I had an issue connecting my RCS stat to my homevision. Couldn't get it to work...until I swapped the A/B data lines around. I had something backwards (not tx/rx, but the differential's). One swap and it went from doing nothing to working perfectly.
YMMV

Tried that. No joy.

Things to check:

1. The M1XSP is enrolled and shows up on the ELKRP Send/Rcv, Enroll/Update screen.
2. The proper version of software is loaded into the M1XSP. Check the version on the Enroll/Update screen.
3. You have the jumpers set for the proper baud rate, device type, and RS-485 to match the Thermostat.
4. Verify the Data A and Data B RS-485 lines are under the proper terminals, not swapped.

If still not working, call ELK Technical.

It should work with no problems!! :eek:

Things to check:

1. The M1XSP is enrolled and shows up on the ELKRP Send/Rcv, Enroll/Update screen.
2. The proper version of software is loaded into the M1XSP. Check the version on the Enroll/Update screen.
3. You have the jumpers set for the proper baud rate, device type, and RS-485 to match the Thermostat.
4. Verify the Data A and Data B RS-485 lines are under the proper terminals, not swapped.

If still not working, call ELK Technical.

It should work with no problems!! :eek:

Firmware was okay but I went ahead and updated it to 1.0.40. Still no dice. Then I went back to recheck jumpers and made the following 2 changes:

1. I had left the Baud jumpers like they were becasue the docs said they didn't matter. But I went ahead and set them like they were on the RCS page of the XSP docs.
2. I noticed JP2 was jumpered. Dug into the docs and it says this activates a terminator for the outgoing 485 bus. I unjumpered this one.

It works great after those 2 changes. I suspect JP2 was the culprit but wanted to post it here in case the OP and/or someone else runs into this issue.

Back