Recommend 5.1 or 7.1 receivers with IP or serial control

hedg12

I'm still in the planning stages for my AV/automation system and have pretty much decided that I'm going to use multiple AV receivers to switch and distribute media to my zones that have video. Since my overall budget for automation/AV is shrinking (the wife think new flooring & paint are more important - imagine that) I'm looking for 1 receiver in the sub $1500 range for the family/media room & 3 in the sub $500 range (the cheaper the better) for the bedrooms (for now - I'll add more as finances allow.) Zone 2 on the bedroom receivers would be ideal, but that may be asking a lot in that price range.
I'm still not sure exactly how I'm going to control everything, but I do know it will involve tablets of some kind and a PC based software solution (I'm using openremote now and may well stick with it, but I'm looking at alternatives.) I'll also have conventional hard button remotes for media and lighting control. I need the receivers to have either IP or serial control so I can have feedback on the tablets and absolute volume control from the automation system. Any suggestions?

Take a good look at JWilson56's Now Playing info - it might be relevant to what you're trying to do.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/blog/8-jwilson56s-now-playing-blog/

Most Integra Receivers have RS-232 control. I know a lot of the Denon receivers use to, but I haven't looked into them lately. Consider buying used too if budget is a concern. I distribute video through component video wires and therefore can get super cheap units because everyone wants HDMI now.

i have one of their elite line from a few years back, the sound that comes out of it is great beyond that i don't know what to say about it, sounds good and didn't break are about all i care about since i only run audio though it now

Wow, that Pioneer is a great deal! Has anyone had any experience with Pioneer's receivers?

Onkyo receivers are better. The price range is a bit higher but well worth it. I'm not a fan of Pioneer but you can check the testimonials for their product by using Google.

Back