Recommend a Camera

Jonnywallter

Hello, I am not a tech person. I want to buy a camera for home security. I have a smartphone, and I want to link it to a camera- so I can see in real time from my phone anywhere I go. I read about a P2P connection? I do not have WiFi or a wireless router in the home. Can I still link a home security camera to my smartphone? And if so, what camera/webcam do you recommend? Thank you!

Your post has been split into a new topic to make it easier to get your own replies.

If you're saying that you don't have wifi, then you'll either need to hardwire your cameras to Ethernet or go cellular in some fashion.

As for how to get the camera visible on your smartphone, there are many ways.  You can build out a network of cameras and run either an NVR recorder or software like BlueIris and enable remote access (generally opening up some things on your firewall), or you can go with cloud-based products.

Doing this with your own recorder tends to cost more upfront and take a little more effort, but in the end you control your data, it saves bandwidth, and it doesn't have a monthly fee.

Cloud based options (and there are too many to count) tend to be pretty plug and play but they're pricey and have an ongoing monthly commitment (look at Ring cameras).

Last option I might consider is Netgear's Arlo.  It doesn't require you to have wifi as it makes its own wireless network, and requires no wires.  The little portable cameras charge and can be placed around - you just recharge them as necessary... they record to the cloud and can alert your cell phone.  You hook their base up via wire to your main router. 

Back