Recommendations for Audio Integration for HAI OMNI PRO II

HighAltitude

Our house was built with HAI lighting system throughout, but no controller. I recently bought an OMNI PRO II, still have to install it. Also, we have an older ADT security system. I want to use the OMNI to enhance the lighting control, like when we are away to turn lights on and off.

In addition, the house was wired with speaker runs and Cat5e to each zone. There is Cat5e to the coax locations as well as wall plates for keypads. I want to set up a whole home audio system, using the iTunes on one of our computers as the music source, as well and FM tuner and any of the Internet radio sources.

My last requirement is an HDMI matrix switch to route some video via Cat5e.

Here's what I've been looking at:

Russound MCA-C5 for the audio.

Atlona 6x6 HDbaseT video matrix

But, I also been looking at the Control4 stuff, although reading some posts it looks that it's not a DIY option in any way, shape or form!

I'm struggling with what keypads to use, or to use apps on iPods. Or HaikiHelper on the iMac in the kitchen. As far as using iPods, not a fan unless they are permanently mounted to the wall. We have enough trouble finding the cordless phone around here - I don't want to be hunting for the iPod so I can turn the music on! I do want all keypads to have source selection and full metadata. Ideally, they would control lighting and audio. Bonus would be video control in the zones that video is run to. I would like a larger control pad on each floor in a central location (kitchen could use the iMac for main floor) and then a few single gang keypads mainly for audio in locations like the exercise room, deck, and workshop.

And of course, the cheaper, the better!

So, any recommendations on how to tie all this together at a DIY level? Thanks!

HighAltitude said:
And of course, the cheaper, the better!

So, any recommendations on how to tie all this together at a DIY level? Thanks!

C4 is not going to be the cheapest solution, nor it is a DIY friendly, but it can give you what you want in a single complete package. For DIY you'd need to do some integration between systems.

Russound is a good choice for audio with HAI, however it does not support iTunes natively, if you want metadata support, you'll have to get an RNET music server. Video integration with HAI is another issue. To get a full control of AV, you'll need to add some software controller. I use Haiku for control of my system, but I have HAI audio controller instead of Russound. The reason I chose HAI is it supports local sources and is better at paging. It also supports iPod dock and Haiku can pass the metadata from it (Omnitouch also interfaces with the dock). HaikuHelper controls my matrix HDMI switch. However, if your matrix switch has simple ASCII based control protocol, you could integrate it with HAI panel directly via Pro-Link.

If you want controls on the wall, you could get a couple of Omnitoch screens (or iPads with Haiku) for main locations, and audio keypads that come with the system for the rest of the house. You can also use HAI lighting keypad to control a room speaker on/off via programming.

Thanks for the input. Yea, I realize I would need the Russound media server to get the metadata link to iTunes. Still seems like a good way to go.

So, can Haiku control he OMNI, the Russound and an HDMI matrix switch? What matrix switch are you using?

Haiku can control anything that HAI panel can control, but unless you can hook up your matrix switch to the panel via Pro-Link, you'd need HaikuHelper or another software to integrate it. I have a no-brand HDMI switch from Monoprice, it works well and has extremely simple string based RS232 protocol, unfortunately they don't sell them any more. also to note: Haiku cannot yet display metadata from RNET, but Omnitouch can. You can still use Russound own app on iPad though.

OK, not sure I fully understand the Haiku app. I understood that it only controls an HAI controller, but not a Russound or other hardware. So, I would have to develop control of the Russound and video matrix from the OMNI, and then all of it from Haiku? Or could the HAI Snaplink do the same?

So, can the OMNI control the Russound MCA-C5 and Atlona matrix switch?

Here is another question - will the HAI touchpads control other hardware, or only via the OMNI as per above ( I think the answer to this is yes).

Omni has built-in control for Russound but not Altona. Haiku is a GUI interface to Omni. HaikuHelper is a server side app that can add a lot of functionality to Haiku. You can use scripting from HaikuHelper and implement Altona protocol, then use flags in HAI panel to link Altona controls to it. Omni touchpads can only control what is defined in HAI panel.

Got it. Makes sense.

Last question (for now!)... Are there any other hardware keypads/touchpanels besides HAI that will control the OMNI? I'm not in love with the HAI options.

Thanks !

More on my last question - HAI lists AMX as. Connectivity partner. GaMX have some pretty sexy looking touchpanels. Any chance one of those panels would d ire toy control the OMNI?

AMX Netlinx Controllers can control HAI panels via a special module (Cafe duet). iRule is another interface that controls HAI.

So, is it possible to write something so the OMNI will control Atlona? That would be the best, I think. Because the, if I'm understanding this right, whatever can canncontrolmthe OMNI will control it all.

Altona is not exactly cheap either, but at least it has a simple control protocol, so you can definitely integrate it with Omni using ProLink.

Back