Recommended tools for new pro

robolo

Just passed my California C-7 low voltage contractor license. Trying to plan my equipment purchases. Figure I'll need a network cable analyzer to certify my installs but what other equipment would you guys recommend / couldn't live without?

Robolo

Hello and congratulations. Not to kill your buzz, but have you ever done any lv work before? I would imagine if you are going into the lv field you would know what tools work best for you. Anyway here is my must have list:

diagonal cutters
electrician scissors
12 in 1 screwdriver
Bosch hammer drill/impact driver combo (18v lithium ion)
Drill bits (wood and masonry)
Fish sticks (don’t cheap out on these)
Electrical circuit tester
110 punch down tool
icm crimper
4’, 8’, 32’ fiberglass ladders

Thanks for the list and yes, I have a lot of experience, while making do with the tools I already owned. Now that I am kicking it up a level I wanted to see if there was anything I didn't already have that was considered "standard" pro equipment.

Just make sure you get quality tools - they make all the difference in the world. You'll need good crimpers for RJ11/RJ45 (a good quality ratcheting style); good punch-downs (110/66). Extension drill-bits, fish tape, fish rods, a good circle cutter and/or roto-zip for drywall cuts. fittings for Coax (RG6/RG59) - either compression or crimp; good cutters for coax, Cat5; the electrician's scissors mentioned above...

What type of work do you want to focus on? Security, HA, Audio, Structured Wiring? And new constructions vs. existing; Commercial vs. Residential?

Each one has different tools.

For the network tester, expect to spend some money; the cheapest one I've ever found that's worth anything is the Fluke CableIQ, but it's $1500. The $100 ones only test continuity, but don't test for crosstalk or attenuation, so even if the wires are physically connected, they may not work.

Also - Fox & hound for tracing; Tone & Probe - the list goes on (man I have a lot of tools for this - and I'm not a pro!).

I think some employers may provide some of the electronic equipment, depending on the need.

IMO - Pick up the basics now, but wait and see on a lot of it until you talk to some employers.

Depends a lot on what kind of job you pick up - commercial vs. residential, network vs. AV.

I was working off the assumption that he's going into business for himself; you con't need a C7 to work for someone else; really only one person in any company needs to have it.

I was working off the assumption that he's going into business for himself; you con't need a C7 to work for someone else; really only one person in any company needs to have it.
Yeah, plan to be a solo operation. Residential distributed audio, video, phone, network, structured wiring, and focusing on home automation and integration of systems. For now limiting to new construction. Already have relationships with general contractors and architects that will feed me jobs.

Sweet! You probably have all the basic tools.

I'm hesitant to suggest that you check out other forums, for fear that you'll jump ship here at CT.

BUT it may be very helpful to you to check out remotecentral.com Custom Installer's Lounge subforum, and the private integrationpros.org forum, if you haven't already. Dan/electron is trying hard to encourage professionals to participate here at CT, and several of them do, but maybe you can encourage more of them to post over here, you know, with the tough questions. ;)

Here's a current thread where some basic punch down and crimping tools are discussed.

Have you found a good local distributor yet? It seems that Capitol Sales has great support for telephone and access control, and would complement the local distributor nicely. One of their salesmen is active at remotecentral, and is a consistent outstanding contributor to technical discussions. Seems many pros at RC, located nationwide, use Capitol. The best attribute of a good distributor isn't pricing, but support.

The most important tools that come off the top of my head include...

Quality website
Quickbooks or similar software
An accountant
A good banker (does that even exist anymore?)
Visio or a Visio clone such as Dia
Truck with vinyl wrap or lettering
A notebook/laptop
External HDD and a backup PLAN

A little down the list but still very important...

Hole Hawg, quality cordless drill, a slew of damn good bits (including 4-6' flex bits), reciprocating saw, good digital multi-meter, basic hand tools, good RJ45 crimpers and punch down tool(as mentioned), glow rods (Labor Saving Devices, all other suck by comparison), wet noodle and ball chain (L.S.D), ladders (minimum of step, 6' and 8')

I'm probably missing more. If I think of anything else, I'll return to the thread.

Back