Replaced X-10 with Insteon ...doesn't work

42etus

We have many X10 light switches and one X10 receptacle (a PA011)in our home. They're controlled by an Elk M1G through a X10 PSC05 transmitter. It all functions fine except the PA011 receptacle simply fails after about 6 months. It seems that's a common problem with them. After the third one failed, I replaced it with a Insteon 2473 receptacle, programmed it to respond to the X10 signal and all is good as long as the X10 transmitter is plugged into the uncontrolled outlet on the 2473. When I move the transmitter to it's normal place near the Elk, the 2473 won't respond. It seems odd, because the X10 receptacle worked fine so it must have been getting a good (enough) signal through the house wiring. All my other X10 devices still work fine , but the Insteon won't respond unless the PSC05 is plugged directly into it. I've thought about a signal booster (XTB-IIR), but that seems like overkill for one receptacle. Any ideas or suggestions.

I have also seen reports in the X10 forums of both the X10 SR227 and X10Pro PAO11 failing. It seem there is a plastic actuator that breaks and all the outlet does is click.

Since the 2473 is a two way device and can be polled. It maybe the signal marginally OK for the PAO11 but the transmitter in the 2473 is absorbing enough of the signal for it not to work.
Another thought maybe a defective module. Not unheard of in the Insteon World.

I have an X10 address in my Insteon modules but have an XTB-IIR and XTBM Meter. I can tell you that Insteon modules do absorb some of the signals as I can watch the levels drop as more modules are connected.

I have also seen reports in the X10 forums of both the X10 SR227 and X10Pro PAO11 failing. It seem there is a plastic actuator that breaks and all the outlet does is click.

Since the 2473 is a two way device and can be polled. It maybe the signal marginally OK for the PAO11 but the transmitter in the 2473 is absorbing enough of the signal for it not to work.
Another thought maybe a defective module. Not unheard of in the Insteon World.

I have an X10 address in my Insteon modules but have an XTB-IIR and XTBM Meter. I can tell you that Insteon modules do absorb some of the signals as I can watch the levels drop as more modules are connected.

The failure you describe is exactly what happened to my first two PA011s. Reading in other forums, it seems to be common failure mode. I didn't realize that the Insteon products would absorb signals like you describe, but that would account for my symptoms. Did you get the XTB to cure X10 problems?. They seem to be highly rated products.

Actually any X10 module that has a power line transmitter in it will absorb some signals.
X10s old two way LM14A and AM14A also do.

I got the XTB-IIR for a few reasons.
It is polite to Insteon signals. Some others will decode part of the Insteon signals and send out garbage.
I did have low signal levels in parts of my house. The XTB-IIR has a greater than 10 volt retransmitted signal on the power lines.
My lowest X10 signal in the house is about 1.25 volts. When read by an XTBM Test Meter also made by JV Engineering.

You may want to do some signal troubleshooting and see if maybe you have some noisemakers or signal suckers.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm

Read THIS thread for interesting and unexpected signal sucks that may be in your home. Measurements with a meter and some signal blocks may be in order here.

I have seen things like electronically controlled appliance now being signal suckers. Washers; dryers; refrigerators etc.
Seems the cheap way to make your electronics not to spew too much power line noise. Is add a AC rated capacitor across the AC input. Well it keeps the appliance's noise down but also absorbs power line signals.

Insteon modules respond to X10 codes, but unlike with Insteon signals they do not repeat them (do not re-transmit). So, yes, each Insteon module would absorb some X10 signal weakening it in the process. You might need to install something like #4827 or #4821AC to boost X10 signal (although those thingies are quite pricey).

N.B. I have no experience with XTB stuff, so I cannot judge how good it is, but #4827 worked for me in the past.

Back