Need help with extended range temp/humidity sensor

Yes, if you don't add the second battery, devices on the extra power supply will disappear while the main board continues on battery.
dwalt
Okay, so I also need to buy a 16.5V 40VA transformer, right? and then what do I connect this to on the panel?
That live heat sink makes me nervous, why don't they cover that with some kind of guard?

Discount Home Automation has kits with the Elk circuit board, power supply and battery for around $100. I'm not sure which is the one I would need.

I am thinking about, if I have to replace my panel anyway, if I moved up to a better model, would it have enough power without having to add this second source? Would my sensors and console work with a different model, the LTe or the IIe, for instance? The expansion board would not, but I would get 16 zones right on the board, right?
I have 4 door sensors, 2 motion sensors, 4 temp/humidity sensors, 1 water sensor, 2 2-wire system sensor smoke detectors.

Are there more problems with some panels than others?

Discount Home Automation has kits with the Elk circuit board, power supply and battery for around $100. I'm not sure which is the one I would need.

I am thinking about, if I have to replace my panel anyway, if I moved up to a better model, would it have enough power without having to add this second source? Would my sensors and console work with a different model, the LTe or the IIe, for instance? The expansion board would not, but I would get 16 zones right on the board, right?
I have 4 door sensors, 2 motion sensors, 4 temp/humidity sensors, 1 water sensor, 2 2-wire system sensor smoke detectors.

Are there more problems with some panels than others?
@GeorgieC,
The HAI Omni panels have been very reliable. Many of the failures I've seen have been due to weather (storms, lightning) which would affect any panel. The most unreliable HAI product I have used has been their touchscreens. The panel has to be used as designed though. This means operating within its design specs.
The current budget for the OmniLTe, Omni2e and OmniPro2 is 1 Amp for devices and 1 Amp for sounders.
If I recall, your device list was around 505mA + your cellular transceiver at 300mA - 35mA for the expansion board = 770mA.
Your LT expansion board will not work with the newer panels. Your other devices will.
Your keypad will work.
You will need a 24 volt transformer. Personally, I think the Elk products are the best. The Elk 2440 is the transformer I use. It has a built in reset, a ground terminal, a power led and the plastic case doesn't turn yellow over time.
Remember to get firmware in the 3.xx to 4.xx range.
dwalt

Last edited:
Yes, if you don't add the second battery, devices on the extra power supply will disappear while the main board continues on battery.
dwalt
If I opt to connect this second power supply to my board, where exactly do I connect the leads from the Elk P624 to the board? Do I connect them to the main board or to the expansion board and what inputs do they go in?

Please refer back to message 43 in this thread.
The only lead from the Elk power supply that connects to the HAI system is a ground wire that connects from the "12 volt -" on the power supply to the "-" on the 12 volt power output....
You are correct about the exposed heat sink. It has voltage on it so it must not touch the cabinet its installed in. Very bad things will happen if it shorts to the chassis. I did it once by accident and never will again.
You need to move power wires from the HAI board to the Elk. I would start by moving the power wires from the Cellular transceiver you have.
You should draw this out to ensure there are no mistakes.
Don

Please refer back to message 43 in this thread.
The only lead from the Elk power supply that connects to the HAI system is a ground wire that connects from the "12 volt -" on the power supply to the "-" on the 12 volt power output....
You are correct about the exposed heat sink. It has voltage on it so it must not touch the cabinet its installed in. Very bad things will happen if it shorts to the chassis. I did it once by accident and never will again.
You need to move power wires from the HAI board to the Elk. I would start by moving the power wires from the Cellular transceiver you have.
You should draw this out to ensure there are no mistakes.
Don
Ah, now I see what you are saying. It all makes sense. Thanks, Don.

Back