Requesting Pictures of ICON next to SwitchLinc V2s

johnnynine

I know many of you have installed the Insteon ICON switches next SwitchLinc's Dimmers and Relays.

I'm wondering how it looks when the switchlinc leds are a different color than the icons AND when someone has tried to match the led colors.

What color are the latest ICON dimmer and relay LEDS? The web site says both are amber but some people say they have green?

From what I understand the ICON LEDs colors are not changable?

Is there anything on an installed ICON switch to indicate if it is a dimmer or a relay to the lay person?

Thanks,
Johnny

johnnynine said:
Is there anything on an installed ICON switch to indicate if it is a dimmer or a relay to the lay person?
No. As long as they both have the same color LED (either the old green or newer amber). If you want to distinguish them then install one amber and one green.

The Insteon SwitchLinc V2s have a white led and you can get color change light pipes in Green Yellow Blue and Red. I have not tried them next to each other, but maybe whan my Icon with Amber LED gets here I may give it a look. I already have a few of the older Icon green led models.

For what it's worth to the Smarthome guys reading this, it positively stinks that you punish early adopters who bought Icon switches and V2s by introducing yet another color into things. As I understand it, the Icon switch color cannot be changed, so now I'm going to be stuck with one set of green LED switches, another set that's amber, and my white V2's. I wasn't really in the market for a set of Christmas lights at various points around the house.

Come on, is this really necessary? Can you at least offer the green LEDs, as an option for those of us that "bought in" early? And while I'm thinking of it, did you ever figure out the REAL wattage rating for Icons? 300? 600? Will anyone ever tell us?

I really like the Insteon product and am glad you developed it, but there have been some major goofs as well. Please stop making very basic, 101 errors. It's really hurting your credibility and has to be hampering your success with the line.

I just recieved a few Icon switches yesterday, 03/06/06, and a relay, and all the leds are amber. I ordered them from Smarthome (sorry Martin, they had a 15% off sale :) ).

My 5 year old likes purple. Is that next?

I have a mixture of green and amber as well. I am trying to find places to hide the green's. or return the ones not yet installed. If I wait I can probably get a pretty penny on eBAY for the greens.

Bigger problem is at the moment I have about 8 installed to date and they are unreliable (dont turn on and off reliably). I callled tech support many times and their advice is to buy more. I keep asking for tech support and I get sales. :)

Dont get me wrong the product is great ...... when it works. Time to do some more research (and maybe some overtime at work to be able to buy more if that really is the solution). How many is enough though??????????????????????

Madcodger said:
For what it's worth to the Smarthome guys reading this, it positively stinks that you punish early adopters who bought Icon switches and V2s by introducing yet another color into things..... Can you at least offer the green LEDs, as an option for those of us that "bought in" early?
Looks like they listened. At least until stock runs out. You can order either the Amber or green LED's of both dimmer's and relay's on the SH website.

http://www.smarthome.com/2876sbg.html

Digger said:
...I callled tech support many times and their advice is to buy more... ...if that really is the solution). How many is enough though??????????????????????
I found things got nice and solid at around 125.

I've got about 32 Insteon devices installed to-date and signals from HAL, Controlincs or Keypadlincs have been 100%.

One feature I really like about the Insteon products is the "whole-house simul-dimming". I have every light linked to a single Keypadlinc button. I hold it down and every light in the house simultaneously dims up or down.

Similarly, ach room also has a dedicated button that is linked to each light in the room.

This feature was a huge bump up to the WAF.

upstatemike said:
I found things got nice and solid at around 125.
Don't listen to him. :)

I have 2-200 amp services, and the only issue I had was when I started installing them in my basement. The ones in the basement had trouble with the ones upstairs as they were fed from 2 different panels. An extra Signalinc fixed that issue.

If you have the signalincs installed properly, then 10 devices spread throught the house should be pretty solid.

jeffx said:
I have every light linked to a single Keypadlinc button
In our MBR, I have a KPL that has the blue light kit except for one button that is red. This is the PANIC button. It will turn every light inside and out on. Really high WAF. That KPL also has 2 "Nighttime buttons" One turns all the lights in the house off except the MBR. The other turns off all MBR lights.

What I would like to see is a Switchlinc that you can program the OFF command, but no the ON. For example, in the MBR, I would like to be able to turn off the bathroom lights when I left the room, but not turn them on when I entered. I know this can be done with PH via the triggers, but built-in support would be nice.

I know you were. :)

I was solid right from the starter kit on except for the basement issue. Now I could probably remove the Signalinc, but there is no reason to.

Back