Residential Electric Question

Hi Pete;

Am I reading your posts correctly?  You have a number ten gauge wire running from a 40 amp breaker?

I thought you were using tandem 30 amp breakers?

Might want to check the code, but I believe you need a number eight gauge wire for a 40 amp breaker.

Understood.

Yes I said the original breaker connected to the Eaton Protector was 30 AMP tandem and really should have been a 50 AMP tandem breaker.  Dunno though may have started with a 40 AMP breaker, removed it for use somewhere else wanting to replace it and never got to it.  Do not play much inside of the fuse panel and historically have kept the cover off for a bit of time to add circuits and neaten up the order, dress the wires and document the wiring / fuses.  Last year looking some found two circuits with one neutral shared wire and the breakers were not tandem but rather way spaced apart.  It did create an issue.  I did not wire this and found it by accident.  Looking at mom's fuse panel (newer home) electrician tie wrapped all of the wires in the panel which I have never seen before and instead of black hot wires used multiple colors like brown and green and red to the breakers.

Interesting had one room redone with new wood floors (old fashioned way of installing wood, sanding, filling sanding then staining).  The installer went right to the fuse panel for electric for his floor sander removing the cover to access the power for his machine a few years back.  Never seen that before.

Thinking at the time that was all I had in my box o breakers.  (15, 20, 30, and dual mini split breakers).  For the powerline outlets use dual mini split breakers as there is no load on these outlets either.

None the less the tandem breaker does not carry any load and is just in place for a high surge and recommended is a 50 AMP breaker.

I did once have a lightning strike and burn up the AC outdoor compressor during a storm one night. The high voltage back feed was only 240 VAC to the 120 VAC lines which did cause damage but was not caught by the TVSS.  The outdoor compressor and housing melted including the release of all of the gas and fused the 240 VAC contactor.  No TV's or Appliances burned out and mostly tripped breakers in the house except for the old Insteon Switches which were replaced en masse with UPB switches.  It was a freaky thing that had occurred.  I did install an outdoor surge protector under the main AC compress outdoor fuse box afterwards.  I did a pictorial here.  It was one of those Saturday morning projects.

Back