RG6 Connectors

wryork

I am in the process of running a mix of RG6 QS copper clad and solid copper in my new home. What are the differences in connector types for these two different types of cables, if any? I'm using the solid core for HDTV interconnects (component) and using copper clad for RF distributions from the satellite to the receivers and TVs. Is that the right strategy?

Thanks,
Bill

Why not use all solid copper core? Why use lesser quality cable at all? The cost is not that much different is it?

You can use the same connectors for both types of cable. I have used MANY SNS6's with no trouble.

http://www.hometech.com/techwire/coaxconn.html#TH-SNS6

Your strategy is good. Since RF energy above 500Khz (or so) travels along the surface of the conductor (skin effect) copper clad for RF and satellite distribution makes sense. Since HDTV signals will have energy in the spectrum below 500khz, solid copper is a good choice.

That's good info but solid copper should work equally as well for both. It would drive me absolutely nuts worrying which cable is used for what. For $74/1000' I prefer to just use solid core everywhere.

Thanks for the discussion. I was using both because of cost and trying to spend as wisely as possible. If it really is not that much more overall, then I would probably go with solid. I need to run these numbers.

But then that leads me to more design questions you guys might be able to help me with for my video network. During my pre-wiring designing phase, I identified 12 TV locations to wire. Only two of these locations would be consider HD locations in the near future (~5 years). The media room and the great room off the kitchen. The rest of the locations would be SDTV and I would not be HD required. Places like the kids rooms, kitchen, garage, screened in back porch, etc will have standard tvs.

Now I don't have this many existing TVs, but I want to pre-wire now for obvious reasons. I was planning runing 4 RG6 and 2 CAT6 to the HD locations, but what would you guys recommend for me to run to each of the SD TV locations to provide me the greatest flexibility? I was thinking 2 RG6 and 2 CAT6.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

That's good info but solid copper should work equally as well for both. It would drive me absolutely nuts worrying which cable is used for what. For $74/1000' I prefer to just use solid core everywhere.

Steve, can you provide a link where you would recommend I order this RG6 QS Solid Core?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

Look here, last post. If you call them, be sure to ask for Nick and say you are referred from Cocoontech (no, sadly I do not get a commission). You may be surprised how fast the kids will get HD!

Also, if price is a big concern, you may want to consider Cat5E instead of Cat6. Mosat of the pros at EHX thought Cat 6 was harder to work with, more expensive and not worth it. That was just their opinions I guess. Keystone sells 1000' of the Cat5E swept to 350hz for $54/1000. Nick should offer free shipping too with orders > $500. If you do call him and he doesn't offer prices at least very close to that (copper cost is changing/increasing daily) please let me know...

Back