Splicing cat5e cable

Ira

I'm extending my Brultech ECM CT wires using several cat5e cables (solid core). When done, this will be about forty splices in my circuit breaker panel. I planned on using the yellow round telephone splice connectors, but that many of them (and having both conductors entering the connector on the same side), will be kind of "bulky". Any better ways to connect the wires that will reduce the bulk? Twist the wires "end to end" then cover with heat shrink tubing? Solder and heat shrink tubing? Crimp-on end to end butt splices?

Thanks,
Ira

When done, this will be about forty splices in my circuit breaker panel.
Most Cat5 wire has no business being in your breaker panel. Only if it is rated for high voltage (600V?).
IIRC, the Brultech and TED instructions specify that any CT extension connections need to be made OUTSIDE the HV breaker box where the CTs are. The wire connected to the CTs is rated for HV use.

I would use the yellow beanies, but in the proper enclosure, or even inside the wall (I think that is legal).

As stated above you cant make those splices inside the panel. Any reason you dont put the ECM just outside the panel and then extended a single CAT5 from there to your PC for the RS232 signal. That is what I did with mine.

My panel is recessed (flush-mounted) in a wall in a hallway closet. I would rather not surface mount the ECM's in there.

Looks like I need to cut out a few inches of the drywall above the panel to give me a little working room, then put an "old work" recessed J-box a few inches above the panel to hold my splices. Does that sound like it will work? Since all of the wires in the J-box are low voltage, are their any NEC limits on the number of wires/splices I can do in there? I think I can put a two-gang box in without running up against the existing wiring in the wall cavity.

Or...can I splice some 600V rated wire to the CT wires in the panel and run that wire to the can with the ECM's? If so, what splice method can I use inside the breaker panel, keeping in mind that I don't want the splice to be too bulky?

Thanks,
Ira

Wayne, what is "yellow beanies"?
The slang name for the link that Todd gave. Todd's are white and filled with gel. The yellow ones do not have gel.
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/Connectors/ELK-900-1
Since they are the same price, people seem to suggest using the white (gel filled) for everything, but the yellow part seems to be part of the slang.

The OP mentioned "yellow round telephone splice connectors" which I assumed were "yellow beanies" but they might have referring to something else, such as Scotchlocks.

OK, yes when I did the HAI Omni Pro II installation in FL in JAN the alarm supplier gave me a bunch of these - "Yellow Beanies". I decided to solder my connections (a bit more timely though).

Wayne, what is "yellow beanies"?
The slang name for the link that Todd gave. Todd's are white and filled with gel. The yellow ones do not have gel.
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/Connectors/ELK-900-1
Since they are the same price, people seem to suggest using the white (gel filled) for everything, but the yellow part seems to be part of the slang.

The OP mentioned "yellow round telephone splice connectors" which I assumed were "yellow beanies" but they might have referring to something else, such as Scotchlocks.

I (the OP) meant the yellow scotchloks. I have a bunch of the yellow beanies, too, but they seem to take up even more space.

Ira

If it's CAT5 you're splicing, why not crimp an RJ-45 on each CAT5 and use an inline coupler. Cleaner than Beanies, chicklets, Scotchlocks, etc...

I'm splicing Brultech CT wires to cat5e wires in order to extend them. I think the CT wires are too big (insulation and gauge) for RJ-45's.

Just to close this out...I cut a hole in the drywall a few inches above the breaker panel. I pulled the cat5e cables back out of the panel into the exposed wall cavity, pulled the CT wires up above the panel to where they were exposed by the hole I cut, then used phone splice connectors to splice them all back together. I covered the hole with a plastic "spring loaded" access panel I found at Home Depot. Looks good enough, especially since it is in a closet.

Ira

Back