RM Software+Aprilaire 8870 Thermostat+ 8811 Protocol Adapter

AceCannon said:
I will also note that Aprilaire has stopped making the 8870 tstat.  The replacement is the much nicer 8800.  (One of my 8870's died so I had to replace).  I will save you all some trouble:  After speaking with an Aprilaire engineer, I learned the 8800 cannot use an AC transformer the way the 8870 did.  All the 8800's much have a separate transformer than the one connected through the 8811 distribution hub.  I have a pic of this in my setup if anyone thinks it would be useful. 
I would very much like to see this pic. Thank You.

Hi Serge,

The ELK-M1G allows up to 16 thermostats. Only one M1XSP is required to communicate with up to 16 Aprilaire thermostats  You need to assign a name (using ELK-RP) for each thermostat that the M1G will communicate with. The ELK-M1XSP must be configured (proper jumper settings, see manual) in order to communicate with the Aprilaire Protocol Adapter. The M1XSP will convert the M1G's thermostat commands (rules) into the Aprilaire thermostat commands  and send them to the thermostat. And vice-versa, the M1XSP will receive the Aprilaire thermostat status and convert it into ELK-M1G protocol and send it to the M1G.

Regards,
Don Lamb
ELK Products

(sorry, in my earlier post I used the wrong model # for the distribution panel- it is 8818.  The protocol adapter is 8811)

To echo what Mr. Lamb said-  the M1XSP's address allows the Elk to see and communicate with it, regardless of the quantity of tstats in your deployment.  Use the DIP switches on the M1XSP to set the adress the Elk will see amongst your seven M1XSP's. 

For individual tstats, you tell each tstat in its onboard config what # it is and the total number of tstats. The tstats in my Elk RP2 configuration use the same ID's: 1, 2, 3, and 4.  I can tell by the activity blinkies that the Elk is polling the tstats sequentially at intervals.  You can see the traffic on the Aprilaire databus at all the tstats, as well as on the M1XSP, the 8811, and the 8818.

The bottom transformer is the original I installed, as you can see feeds into the 8818 distribution panel and thus all the tstats.  The top transformer is the new one that is separate: the two little red connectors splice into the power wires for the newer 8800 tstat, whose power wires I had to remove from the 8818 distribution panel.

Sorry for the austere quality of the installation.  But it works.

005645FE-F68F-4A80-80AF-6B534D0469A1.jpg

AB1FDAFB-737F-4040-B564-6C418A1AB451.jpg

7E370D81-FF43-40B0-B6CE-1D787F41DBC7.jpg

Thank You very much for You help.
I still have two questions unanswered. Let's go with them one by one.
1. DIP switch on M1XSP is for assigning the number to a new RS232 port and it has to be done regardless what later I'm going to communicate through it with. There're also configuration settings (lighting, thermostats, ...... so on)
Just for simplicity let's say it's number (port #) 4. Question : where in RP and which way I tell M1G that all commands to thermostats (Aprilaire) should go through RS232 port #4?
Serge.

Serge5757 said:
Thank You very much for You help.
I still have two questions unanswered. Let's go with them one by one.
1. DIP switch on M1XSP is for assigning the number to a new RS232 port and it has to be done regardless what later I'm going to communicate through it with. There're also configuration settings (lighting, thermostats, ...... so on)
Just for simplicity let's say it's number (port #) 4. Question : where in RP and which way I tell M1G that all commands to thermostats (Aprilaire) should go through RS232 port #4?
Serge.

(the following is my understanding.  I do not purport to be an expert on Elk configuration)

Each M1SXP must have a unique DIP dwitch setting.  The XSP also has some jumpers to select what type of devices that particular XSP will communicate with (tstat, lighting, etc).

You will not have to tell RP which "port" (address) each XSP is using.  It will know to use the one with jumpers est to "tstat".  You will tell RP how many tstats you have and give them names.

Back