RS232 Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap01

I have researched and downloaded lots of files on RS232 information related to controlling Yamaha receivers. I have an older rx-v3000 and am trying to figure how to send RS232 commands to my receiver. I also have a Sony 777 DVD Changer and have had great success sending RS232 commands to it using an executable file that makes it real easy. Does this exists for Yamaha receivers or do I simply need to learn how to send HEX Codes to it?

I know how to create .bat files and am familiar with basic programming but never messed with HEX codes... again, maybe I'm missing something as like I said have found countless documents on RS232 Yamaha receiver codes but just can't figure out how to use this information.

If anyone out there could enlighten me on this I would be forever greatful.

Thanks much.

It has BEEN A WHILE since I tried it last, but I did verify that I could do the same with my LG TV's. Unfortunately, I forgot what program I actually used to send the commands, but believe I ended up doing it with HyperTerminal.

It has BEEN A WHILE since I tried it last, but I did verify that I could do the same with my LG TV's. Unfortunately, I forgot what program I actually used to send the commands, but believe I ended up doing it with HyperTerminal.
I am attempting to use that very program to send the commands thru.... here's the million dollar question.... do you recall what the command(s) looked like that you sent to your tv? Did you send a file to the port, was it a text file, what was in the text file?

Fortunately for me, the LG protocol is part of the owners manual. The documentation they provide also lists the baud rate and other settings that are needed to establish the proper connection through Hyperterminal. It's all standard actually: 9600bps, 8-bits, no parity, 1-bit stop bit, etc. The Transmission/Receiving protocol for the LG TV's is basically:

[Command1][Command2][ ][SetID][ ][Data][Cr]

Where [Cr] is Enter on a PC, and when pressed, it sends the command. The document goes through all of the various commands that you can send. For example the commands for power is ka, and for the data entry, 00 is off, and 01 is on. So the message would look like this:

ka 1 01 ,then press Enter to send the command, to power on the TV.

Similarly,
ka 1 00 [Enter] will power the TV off.

Unfortunately, I would assume that this could be written in more difficult fashion by other manufacturers, so unless you have the documentation, it would be practically impossible to know what to send.

I just did some google searching and found this post that shows some Yamaha commands. It looks like they have a completely different protocol (to be expected):

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-touch/thread.cgi?849

There was also a decent amount of chatter in the thread about what cable is needed to connect. I read thoroughly, as I don't have a Yamaha receiver myself, but I think the conclusion was that you need a standard null-modem cable.

ap01 - you and fnp should get together. Same question on AVS. ;)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1347917

Yes, of course.

Look for Hyperterminal tutorials.

When setting up Hyperterminal, it appears that, under the ASCII Setup config, you need to check 'Echo typed characters locally' to see what you're typing.

http://seetron.com/archive/html/ht_tip1.htm

Hyperterminal is OK just and is only good for ASCII based protocols.

I found a utility called Herculese that is free that works much better and can send hex strings as well (for those hex based protocols). Also does TCP and UDP for IP enabled devices such as network enabled receivers (Yamaha, Integra, Onkyo etc)

http://www.hw-group.com/products/hercules/index_en.html

Its the best out there for the proce (free)

Mick

Yeah, I primarily only did it to confirm what serial wiring I needed to make the connection work before I wall mounted the TV(s). I never intended to use Hyperterminal to actually be the control device for them - I would use HA software to perform daily/more routine functions.

Yeah, I primarily only did it to confirm what serial wiring I needed to make the connection work before I wall mounted the TV(s). I never intended to use Hyperterminal to actually be the control device for them - I would use HA software to perform daily/more routine functions.

just letting you all know i solved my issue... thanks for trying to help... the link above to avsforums is where you can see the solution. thanks.

Hyperterminal is OK just and is only good for ASCII based protocols.

I found a utility called Herculese that is free that works much better and can send hex strings as well (for those hex based protocols). Also does TCP and UDP for IP enabled devices such as network enabled receivers (Yamaha, Integra, Onkyo etc)

http://www.hw-group.com/products/hercules/index_en.html

Its the best out there for the proce (free)

Mick

Good find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back