Running data and speaker wire with AC

pkoslow said:
Here's the advice I would give (most of which is just sumarizing what the others have posted:

-Do use PVC conduit
Just what do you recommend then? You said yourself you just installed 1400 feet of some kind of conduit.

Sandpiper said:
pkoslow said:
Here's the advice I would give (most of which is just sumarizing what the others have posted:

-Do use PVC conduit
Just what do you recommend then? You said yourself you just installed 1400 feet of some kind of conduit.
Sandpiper, you may have mis-read. I did recommend PVC... Grey Schedule 40 PVC designed for direct burial like this:

http://www.pweagleinc.com/literature/e/mkt-e-930.pdf

You can even heat it up with a large propane vapor torch to create bends during installation.

Cheers,
Paul

great summary! great advice!

in my own defense, the certification process on CAT5e here at the hotel requires that my terminations have no more than 1/4" untwisted total. if you have more, you will fail certification, and it costs up to $25 a cable. with an average of 1800 terminations (900 lines terminated both ends) that adds up to a lot!

pkoslow said:
pkoslow said:
-Do use PVC conduit
Sandpiper, you may have mis-read. I did recommend PVC...
Paul,
I'm not attacking...but how could I have misread your statement "Do not use PVC". I really thought you had mis-written this, so I was asking to give you a chance to clarify yourself. You did clarify this....but did a bad job at it.

Edit........I'm very sorry......I just saw that I am the big dummy.....I swear I saw a "NOT" in there, next to the DO.

Somehow I saw DO USE as DO NOT USE.......My apologies.

Hi Sandpiper,

No worries... no offense taken. I could have better worded my post. I tend to skim quickly through them and after looking back at it can see how it would be easy to mistake what I wrote.

Will be interested to hear from CT on what he ends up doing. He's recieved lots of good advice here to get him started!

Cheers,
Paul

I agree with Paul, I did get lots of good advice. I am very appreciative for all of it!

I dug the trench today and quickly found out, as with everything else, it was not going to be as easy as I hoped. The area in which we live is full of buried rocks and they are the bane of my digging existence.

The run is about 80 feet from the side of the house down to a dock. I put the first trench in and since I was also digging trenches for all of the downspouts I ran out of time to do the second trench to the dock.

I am going to go with the seemingly more popular theory that there will not be significant problems.

I took the advice and will be putting in the grey PVC conduit. I have my cat5 and speaker wire cable.

I had not thought of water getting into the joints, I thought if I glued them they would not leak. There is a good slope from the house to the dock, should I just leave the end off the bottom to allow for any drainage?

Thanks again for all of the input...

CT

ctwilliams said:
I had not thought of water getting into the joints, I thought if I glued them they would not leak. There is a good slope from the house to the dock, should I just leave the end off the bottom to allow for any drainage?
Moisture will get in due to condensation. Over time it will accumulate.

I wouldn't leave it open, just drill a 3/16" hole. This will keep the critters out.

Back